Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Spanish River - Looking for Info < Previous Next >

Link to this message

navelfuzz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm looking for some information on the Spanish River. (not sure I've posted this in the right area)

While our group has a good confort level with wilderness tripping (our group of 6 ranges from 32 to 63 with only one tripping newbie), we find ourselves light on knowledge of the Spanish River and white water experiance.

We are looking for tips and direction / more informatiom. The main concerns are the water levels, temperature, and difficulty level of the water for the last week on May (looking at the west channel)

Most sites I read describe the difficulty as suited to beginer white water canoeist. These trip logs all tended to be July and August time and I would expect May would be a different river all together.
 Link to this message

scouter_joe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Spanish river was the first river trip that we ever did . I was in one canoe with my youngest son who would have been about 9 at the time . My wife was in another canoe with our 12 year old son It was in July and the water levels were low . We had a great trip . Ive run it several times since from mid April on . There are good portages around the rapids if you don't feel like running them . I,d say you'll do fine but you will be in bug season . scouter Joe
 Link to this message

navelfuzz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the tips.

We are hoping the bugs won't be too bad, but will be packing the musk and the jackets. We were hoping to make it earlier in the year, but it just seemed to work for the group to start for at the end of May and 1 wk of June.

I tend to over plan and do a lot of reading up on areas before I go. Do you have any suggested sites? I enjoy the reading, and with the exception of two trips in Temagami (my wife describes colourfully), they have all been fairly successful.
 Link to this message

navelfuzz

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you can handle some more questioning . . .

Which streaches have you done or recommend?

We have 8-10 days, and hope to have a down day or two for relaxing and exploring. Our plan was Biscostasi to the elbow (west). But I hear Duke to elbow is easy (east).

Thanks for any help,
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The spring water levels could be a wildcard. Normally the Spanish is fairly easy in summer but if the water happens to be in spring runoff still (which is very likely in late May, you might be looking at a lot wilder river). In that case the Duke Lake trip will be less menacing. The west route from Bisco has more portages and more falls, but you may find it more intersting. (I did). I've done both. Did the west route a few years ago but that was in July. Water was low then and the trip was relativley easy. The Elbow is a convenient place to pull out. I've also paddled to Agnew Lake. THere are a few nice runs after the elbow but the last many miles is flat water...to Agnew...

If you take the train....Bisco makes sense for sure. IF doing a car shuttle then Duke Lake is easy logistically. Bisotasing Lake is nice but its a fairly long paddle to the river ....as you'll see on the map. Not a problem though...as you seem to have lots of time with 8 days.

I've never paddled the Spanish in the spring so I can't speak to the water levels then. Someone above is talking about mid-April even....so I guess it must be OK in spring...(hopefully!)
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 1, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did the spanish a few years ago as one of my first river trips (as a camper with Wanapitei). From Bisco down to Agnew is really a wonderful route, and the lower water we encoutnered with it being August was not really a problem. While there were a few big sets and falls to portage around (mostly, if I recall, soon after the outflow from L. Bisco), most of the whitewater consists of many, many little drops. This constant flow of "swifties" isn't hard to tackle even with limited whitewater abilities, however it would probably be good if you had a basic understanding of different strokes, techniques, etc, just in case the spring runoff creates more waves (... or it may just wash out some sets).
8 days is plenty to do Bisco-Agnew.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home