Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Access to Montreal River - North of Smoothwater < Previous Next >

Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is this a viable access point, particularly in spring? Any first hand accounts or advice?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 341

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are talking about the access where the Beauty Lake Road crosses the Montreal River, then yes, it is viable. This road is largely flat and in considerably better shape than the Liskeard Lumber Road, which branches off to the south at Beauty Lake.
 Link to this message

blackfly

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As soon as the frost is out, the traffic begins. Lots of fishermen on the long weekend of May travel the Montreal River to Lady Dufferin (Walleye) and Smoothwater for Trout. Lots of motorboat travel in the spring down to Smoothwater. I'm only about 16km. from the Beauty Lake entrance if you need any help.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 152

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There were many vehicles (at least 6) on the Liskeard Road last Spring, on the May long weekend.There were vehicles as far South as Gamble and some came up from South of Gamble on the Monday. One was hauling a camper trailer. But the road is very rough down there and requires a soft hand on the wheel,a light foot on the gas pedal and much patience.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 111

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

alscool,
I was on the Beauty Rd. about 6 years ago and it was good then, sond sandy spots. Not as bad as the Goulard Rd. it was much better.
Bill
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 61

Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks all!

Blackfly - do you know anybody in the area who might be willing to do a shuttle? It would be from Elk Lake into the Montreal or the North Lady Evelyn.

Thanks
 Link to this message

blackfly

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

alscool,
I may be able to help you with your shuttle. I've got a pickup(4x4) and a trailer(if needed). Just need to know ahead of time when. Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home