Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Obabika RIver?? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 8:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Simple and quick question...

Over burdened with "blow down"?? Anybody done it in recent years? I am beginning to think this is ALMOST impassable, or certainly miserably passable?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 634

Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Swift:
It is useable.
It was mostly cleaned out several years ago removing a good number of blowdowns, but there are now others that will require you to get out and drag around or in a few cases portage around. The one requiring a portage is between the entrance to the Wawiagama River and the Bridge a bit further south. Portage on RR. There is also a portage around an old dam about a km from the upper entrance to the river and a portage at a chute at the lumber camp. And of course the Falls just above the Sturgeon needs a portage.
There are other blockages that you can usually squeeze around without a lot of effort.

The first time I went down the Obabika was in August 1999 and there were a lot of blockages and areas that had to dragged over. My last trip .. from Lahay to Wawiagama River late last September,was pretty uneventful, some obstructions but not enough to get frustrated over.
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ed, did you like it? Is the river a nice trip? Anything else you can add about it? Like how long it took to go from Obabika to the Sturgeon RIver?

Thanks again.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 181

Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Obabika River is very viable and well travelled. I am curious why you would think otherwise.

The Obabika River is approx. 45 km from head to toe. It is a relativly quick decent downstream with a decent current, though negotiating the meanders and maximizing your momentum is a chore even working with the current. The blow downs and log jams have been managed in recent years by Bill Buchan, Friend of Obabika.

With an early start, you should be able reach the Sturgeon River (though I cannot say what the solo canoeist is capable of). There is an old river farm depot towards the end of the river not far below the Obabika bridge that is suitable for camping as well as the portage put in at the Obabika Falls. Don't miss this put in !!
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks.

The Temagami Adventure Map suggested blow downs. And Hap Wilson doesn't say a whole lot about it. Though nobody said it specifically, I was left with that impression.

Thanks again to such a knowledgeable group.

This is all part of my planning for a large(ish) loop throughout Temagami. Some chiseling, revamping, rescheduling...
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 368

Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As Ed And Alscool has said the river has been cleaed. I did it 5 years ago and there were 13 blow downs and lift overs. As of Bill Buchan cleared the river the best that could be done and 3 years ago there were 3 lift overs when I did the river again. There may be more now bu as said before it is very doable. The river current is approx. 5km. There is a small 35 to 40 mt. portage and then a 100mt. portage on the river then a 975 mt. portage before the Sturgen River.

Bill
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 635

Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Swift:
I would allow 1 1/2 days to reach the Sturgeon.
You could do it in 1 day , but it would be a long one.
The Obabika meanders a lot, as does the Sturgeon below Lower Goose Falls.
The best way to keep track of your progress is to know the approximate GPS co-ordinates of landmarks along the way ... i.e. the lumber camp, the entrance to the Wawiagama River or the new logging bridge just south of there and the take out just before the last rapids and the Falls.
Last September I was doing 11km/hour going downstream according to GPS tracking,in some places on the straightaways between meanders.So you can move along , but it is not at a constant rate, so it helps to have the extra time and keep the pace leisurely so that you can enjoy the passing scenery.
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, June 7, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great, exactly the kind of info I am looking for, thanks again.

If all goes as planned, I will let you guys know by the end of the month.
 Link to this message

temagamirider

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

the snowmelt this spring produced unusually high water levels on the obabika. be careful and prepared. theres a lot of new wood in the river. the level last weekend was "seasonally low" and dropping.
 Link to this message

swift

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for that update.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home