Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Suggestions for an 8-9 day trip? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

leustace

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 6, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi! Can anyone suggest a nice 8-9 day route for 2 moderately experienced trippers? It'll be over the August civic holiday weekend, so I'm hoping to avoid the crowds - and we don't mind portaging if that's what it takes! Any ideas are most welcome.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 107

Posted on Sunday, June 7, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maple Mountain loop comes to mind and it gives you extra days for exploring.
 Link to this message

leustace

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 7, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

sounds good - where does one put in and take out for that loop?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1063

Posted on Sunday, June 7, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You could use either Sandy Inlet on Lake Temagami, from the Red Squirrel Road, or Mowat's Landing on the Montreal River.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 369

Posted on Sunday, June 7, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a route that I did some 18 years ago and plan on doing it again in a couple of years is:
Start at Lake Temagami Mine Rd.(Central Lake Temagami Access Rd.) Go North through the Northwest Arm, into Obabika Inlet to Obabika Lake the south on Obabika and into Wawiagama Lake, Wawiagama R. to the Obabika River to the Sturgeon R. to Wawiashkashi Lake to Manitou Lake, Turtleshell Lake, Gull Lake, Skunk Lake Lake Temagami Southwest Arm, Lake Temagami and Back to mine Mine Road.
This was my first trip in Temagami and I have loved the Temagami area since.
In Haps book this is parts of Route 2,4,6,11,20 & 1.

Bill
 Link to this message

leustace

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What do you think about the Maple Mountain loop vs. putting in at Mowat's landing, Lady Evelyn-Maple Mountain-Diamond-Wakimika-Obabika- taking out at Red Squirrel ? Does that second route sound overly ambitious for 8-9 days? Which would you recommend?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 370

Posted on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It will work if you do not get wind bound on Lady Evelyn, Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika, or Temagami. The portage from Willow Island to diamond is a 2 miler (1.3km) Easy but long with marsh at the end. You could also look going from Obabika to Shish Kong, Bob, and then the Canoton Lakes or the long 1200mt back to Diamond, Sharp Rock Inlet and then to Sandy Inlet and the Red Squirrel. That without being wind bound is also good and you would cut out the big part of Lake Temagami.
Bill
 Link to this message

leustace

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hmmm... sounds like lots of opportunity for big winds...
Can anyone comment on the maple mountain loop, putting in at Mowat's landing, crossing Lady Evelyn to Maple Mountain and then heading north back up to the Montreal River, and then back down the river to Mowat's? (route #12 in Hap Wilson's book)
And by the way, thanks for all of the replies and suggestions - this blog community is great.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 371

Posted on Tuesday, June 9, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

leustace,
Do not be discouraged by the possibility of big winds. I was only letting you know of the possibilities. I have been through there and had no problem and have been through there and had big winds for a day. You have to put up with it in Temagami, it happens and you deal with it. If we do not let you know then we are the one at fault. You need to know what you may have to deal with to plan a trip properly. Your trip is fine and can be done with no problem in the time frame that you have planned. If you do get wind bound then make sure you leave the next morning at or just before sunrise and beat the heat and wind. You may also have a long day after the wind to catch up on your schedule. Just make sure you plan properly.
Go for it but read everything you can about the area and search for trip reports here and other sites and on google. Make sure you are as informed as you ca be before you leave.
Have a great trip and enjoy and let us know how it turned out and give us links to pics.

Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on June 9, 2009)
 Link to this message

leustace

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Bill, for looking out for us! I will definitely keep that route in mind. The other that I'm considering though, is the Maple Mountain loop that otter_mel recommended. Otter_mel, did you mean the loop starting from Mowat's to Maple Mountain and then north to the Montreal river and back to Mowat's?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 372

Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

leustace,
If you want to do the Maple Mountain Loop you could start at Mowat Landing to Maple Mountain and then south on Suckergut to the North Channel of the Lady Evelyn and then down the South Channel Lady Evelyn to Willow Island and cut over the 2 portage to Lady Evelyn and north to Mowat Landing. The first 2 hours and then the last 2 hours would be back tracking. It can be done in your time frame but the North & South Channel does have some challenging portages.

Bill
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 108

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I meant the "Classic" loop via Anvil L., Skull Lake etc. and down Montreal river to Mowat's again.
 Link to this message

leustace

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi again... after some mapreading and consultation with a friend, here is the new proposed route:
Mowat's - Lady Evelyn - Suckergut - Hobart - Maple Mt - Hobart - Suckergut - North Channel - Katherine Lake - South Channel - The Barn - Diamond - Wakimika - Obabika - Bob Lakes - Diamond - Lady Evelyn - Mowat's
What do you think? is that do-able in 9 days?
Also, a third friend wants to come along - are the bigger lakes on this route dangerous for a kayaker?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 374

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dangerous for Kayakers? What do you mean. The only danger is carrying the Yak across the portages, especially the 2 miler, The Barn, you call it. The yak will far the winds and wave over the canoe. It would be the portages that are the bitc*. I think 9 days should be doable it you do not get wind bound for more than 1 day.
Mowat's to Suckergut, 1 long day, Maple Mt. hike the 2nd., North Channel to Katherine day 3. Katherine to Willow Island Lake, start of the 2 miler, day 4. 2 miler to Obabika day 5. Obabika, Shish Kong with time for the trails and the Spirit Rock to Bob Lake day 6. Bob to Diamond ad Lady Evelyn day 7. Lady evelyn to Mowat Landing Day 8 and one day off if not wind bound or slowed down on portages by the Yak.

Bill
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Even the shorter portages ( west end of Diamond, Fat Mans ) are going to be a PITA for a kayak.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home