Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through November 2, 2009 * Temagami central to red cedar, river questions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

aa_cruiser

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 5, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i have the maps, i have Hap's book ,i have experience, but not on whitewater, i understand there are portages for pretty well all the rapids, except maybe one(5th), i have read a post here of a guy who kayaked up the river.
i plan on going downriver,cross to red cedar, single canoe, two adults, do you know of any surprises? from everything i have read, it should be a fairly easy river. sounds and looks like it's almost a series of small lakes with a bit of current. i understand there are alot of groups going through right now, i hope to camp at the rapids.
also hoping the wind from central access to portage bay isn't too bad.
thanks for any advice
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, July 9, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, there are portages for all the rapids on this stretch, generally I think they are all on the east bank. Hardly any current besides in the rapids between lakes.

This could be a great opportunity to get some whitewater experience. There are a couple rapids that are short and straight where you just bounce through the waves. Scout first of course. The first rapid after the dam is quite technical and would probably be best portaged. I think the one after that is fairly straight and short. The second last set I believe has three rapids, the middle one has a 1m ledge you will want to avoid. This is all easily scoutable from the trail. There is a campsite on the point (east side) after this triple set. Other than that, I don't think there is great camping along the way, but I could be wrong as I would normally camp on Cross or Red Cedar. There is also a small site on the little lake after the dam, again on the east side.

Follow the map closesy heading from Cross Lake down the Temagami River, before the dam. There is one turn on the map (you need to head east) and when you're there in the canoe it seems natural to head straight.

(Message edited by Andrewh on July 9, 2009)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home