Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through November 2, 2009 * How's Goulard Road for our Toyota Echo? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bolga

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

Will our little Toyota Echo be ok on Goulard Road, off the 805 to Obabika?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 398

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you take is slow and easy I would say yes. Be careful and take it slow and watch where you drive. There is some big rocks in the road and you need to drive around them. Do not worry about your paint job on the car, worry about the bottom.

Bill
 Link to this message

bolga

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info Bill, and for the beach site near the old-growth. I appreciate that.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 400

Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bolga
If you are using the Access at the gate on the Goulard Road and canoing from the portage at the gate http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/rou nd-lk.htm
Then there is a great sandy beach before the narrows on the west side in a bay, if you pass the cottage on the west shore at the narrows you have gone to far. You can camp there or further north past the narrows there is a pebble beach at Ranger Point on the East shore. Then at the northern end of Obabika on the east side you will find the sandy beach and just to the south 75mt is the Pines Campsite( some call it the Rocks campsite and others call it the Ceremony Site. http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Nature/og-trail 1.htm

Bill
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bolga or Hillbilly

Has anyone been down the Goulard to the gate lately? My girlfriend and I are thinking of going down to the Changing of the Seasons ceremony this September. (I have wanted to attend for quite a few years). We would park at the gate and then canoe in to the gathering. I drive a Honda Pilot which has 4WD.

Thanks in advance

(Message edited by bigwolf on August 18, 2009)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 645

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You will have no problem going from Emerald Lake to the Gate using a Pilot. Just take it slow and easy. It is an unmaintained logging road with rocks and ruts etc.
If you are using a smaller vehicle, that is lower to the ground then plan on taking a bit more time to get there. I usually take about 2 1/2 hours to go from Sturgeon Falls to the Gate.

Paddling up to the north end of Obabika Lake from Chinaman's Bay, usually takes me about 5-6 hours, assuming the wind is not coming out of the north or if so is hopefully light.
The portage from the gate will take about an hour per carry.

Coming out of Chinaman's Bay and paddling north ... the small island site (open triangle)on the west side is useable. The next one up (closed triangle)on the west side no longer exists.The next open triangle is a now a large site and is nice. The other sites in the lower basin,north of Chinaman's Bay are all open and useable. In the Upper Basin all the sites on the Planning Map are open and useable except for the 2 closed triangle sites on the east shore directly across from the Obabika River outlet.
There are some other sites on the west shore south of the Obabika River outlet that are not shown on the maps, but are easy to find if you paddle close to the shore line.

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,

Thank you. I expect it will then take approximately 8-10 hours of paddling to get to this year's gathering on Wakimika if the wind is good to us. Will try to get up there on Friday and somewhere on Obabika before paddling in on Saturday to Wakimika.

Thanks again.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 419

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bigwolf,
I agree with Ed. You should have little problems if you drive slow and be careful.

Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home