Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through November 2, 2009 * Wakimika < Previous Next >

Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone done the Wakimika River recently who can offer some info on how navigable it is, starting at Obabika?
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If by lately you mean this year, then no for me.

But we did it either '07 or '08 and have prolly been down it 4 or times. It is easy. Haven't gone upriver, but I doubt that is much of an issue. It is slow and lazy without any quick water.
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Dergon!
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 408

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

maramar
With the rains this year you should have no problem. Maybe 3 or 4 beaver damns. From the mouth of the Obabika R. to Wakimika lake you can figure on 2.5 to 3 hrs.

Bill
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Bill...and is Wakimika a clear water lake , like Obabika, or not?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 409

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes it is. Good fishing also.

Bill
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have done it in both directions in early September, and even in low water years, you should have no problem . As others have said, maybe a handful of beaver dams and that's it .
 Link to this message

truenorth

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maramar, my brother and I paddled up Wakimaki last week (on the 21th of July). No problem at all.. it was a beautiful, sunny and windless day all the way from Obabika to Sucker Gut. We may have spent an hour going up the Wakimika. The higher water levels this summer definitely help the cause! Enjoy your paddle up a serene stretch of river. Here is a pic of what you;ll see-
 Link to this message

truenorth

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm new here and grappling with the image posting requirements- here (I hope!) is the pic mentioned in my first post-
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Truenorth...thanks so much for the pic, it really "wets the appetite" for my wife and I who will be bringing an Australian cousin of mine through this long-weekend. And since you were there so recently, what of the beaver damns the others mentioned? Did they pose much trouble?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 410

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The beaver damns are only lift overs and take maybe 5 minutes each.

Bill
 Link to this message

kayamedic

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did the Wakimika River last month. Its a bit of a slog cause you are going upstream at high water levels.

There is one possibility of taking a wrong turn. I think the fork is above the third dam but do not hold me to the count. The chennel you naturally see is the wrong one. Look to the right as you leave the beaver dam. There is a small piece of orange flagging tape on a tree to indicate the route (its only about two inches long)

I took the wrong fork and spent a couple of hours negotiating another dozen beaver dams before coming out in an amazing wetland. Even a mistake was worth it.
 Link to this message

truenorth

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maramar- we should have taken notes. I've got a blur of three different but all totally enjoyable narrow river/creek paddles in my mind as I try to remember the particulars about the Wakimaki. As it is, we paddled up the Obabika to the Wawiagama- that was a bit of work but still enjoyable since the scale of things becomes so much more intimate. Then we paddled up Wawiagama Creek - even more closed in a feeling. The Wakimika is sorta in between the two- we probably did a deadfall or two push-over and maybe a beaver but it really was not big deal. It is just a great place to be. May you have a sunny day to enjoy it all- just like we did! Here is another shot- it is of the small lake you'll see after the second portage you'll have to make to get from Obabika to Diamond.
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Many thanks kayamedic and truenorth....another great pic!
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey truenorth....another quick question since you were there so recently....we all know how bad the mosquitos have been and still are this year on account of all the rain...so, paddling the closed-in Wakimika R, were they constant company, and if so, how bad? I ask not so much for myself (we'll have bug dope and bug jackets)but more to prep my Aussie cousin who will be doing his first Canadian canoe trip....just want to know how much of a horse-whipping he's in for, or "horsefly" whipping as the case may be, ha!
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Truenorth's oicture , as he mentions, is the start of the portage from the small pond SW of Diamond into Diamond itself . While only about 400 yards, it is about as ugly as short ones get . Almost all rock and a lot of very tricky footing .
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 412

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

marty_s
You are right about that portage. 3 years ago there was a tree down over the portage just past the take out heading for Obabika.
maramar,
The mosquitos should not be bad at all, the horsefly up here is called deer flies and yes they will be around in plenty.
Bill
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 86

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've just returned from this area - came back last night:
A few notes:
Bugs are BAD - as bad as I've ever seen them at this time of year - and they don't show any signs of slowing...
Water levels are high on the Wakimika River - traveling downstream, we only needed one liftover, where the river forks.
Other than that, it's an easy paddle down to Obabika.

(Message edited by micmac on July 29, 2009)
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks micmac...that's exactly what I expected to hear!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home