Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through November 2, 2009 * Marten River - Runnable/Portages or Wade? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Up on Thistle Lake next Sunday or Monday and going to do a day trip from Thistle to Marten River PP. Have been on Thistle since 1967 (I was 3) but have never done the Marten River.

Although I have Hap's description of the Marten River and read some posts here everyone says wade the rapids. Are they not runnable? or are they too boulder strewn? Are they C1's, 2's. Any help appreciated. I promise to write up a better section once I finish my day trip. I expect 6 hours from Thistle to Marten River Park with a steady paddle and an hour of stops. My dad will pick me up in Marten. Hopefully I will be drinking a cold one. I will also post somewhere my full report from a few years back of Thistle, down Temagami, up Sturgeon to Gull and Temagami to Cross/Red Cedar/Thistle.

Thanks again.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some pictures from my trip. Great adventure. More to come.

A good laugh while on the Marten River!

And the first rapid that I lined going up. Had some fun running some of the bigger ones higher up.

Next week I am doing the lower Temagami (which I have done many times but not in a kayak) and then I will continue from River Valley to Field where my dad will pick me up at the french fry hut. I expect two days of kayaking should get me there. Lots of portages on the first day though. The water is very high so many runs could be doable that are usually too rocky.

Anyone know what the river looks like from River to Field? I expect no rapids, fairly fast moving downstream and muddy banks like the river portion going north. Thanks in advance

Bigwolf
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 644

Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bigwolf:
Your pictures didn't post... Could you please try again.
Thanks
Ed.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here you go (hopefully).

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Taken from the bridge looking towards the Marten River Dam near Hwy 64