Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through November 2, 2009 * Ottawa Temiskaming Highland Trail < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scouter_joe

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm hoping to hike the OTHT near the end of Sept . Has anyone here hiked this trail this year that could comment on the conditions IE blowdowns , flooded sections ,and such . Thanks in advance scouter Joe
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 680

Posted on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Scouter_joe:
If no one answers you here go to: http://www.nastawgantrails.org/welcome_en.

They have an email address on their website you can use to contact them.
 Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi folks,

Scouter Joe,

Could you post a report afterwards? I'm looking to hike the trail next year and appreciate any info as I had intended to hike from McLaren Bay to Latchford. I'm coming up soon and will likely be doing the Grand Campment Trail again in a few days as well.

Many thanks,
Scott
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 681

Posted on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I received the following from Nastawgan Trails
last night,(Surnames removed)

All,

Below are the unsolicited comments of Dave who, along with his hiking partner Jennifer , recently hiked a section of the Ottawa Temiskaming Highland Trail Between Ottertail Creek and Nagle Bay. Dave's comments are typical of those of many others who have hiked the various sections of the OTHT. The Grand Campment Bay - Nagle Bay Loop is the most remote part of the trail.

If anyone would like to join Murray, Roger and myself on the fall maintenance crew (we thank Dave for informing us about areas needing attention) from Sept 14 - 28 please call Murray at 705 648 3310.

Les.

Hi Les!

We did pop in to Gramp's and expressed our thanks for the info and bought a bunch of stuff. That was the toughest (heat) and most beautiful trail I have ever hiked - including the Stein valley in BC

We ended up doing the following:

1) Friday - arrive at trailhead (Rabbit Lake Rd) 2:00 , food cache, and arrived at GC (Grand Campment Bay) around 5:00
2) Sat - North to Nagle Bay
3) Sun - Back south on Blue loop to GC
4) Mon - GC to Fleury (Creek)
5) Tues - Fleury to Ottertail (Creek)
6) Wed - Ottertail Falls and then north to Lost Creek
7) Thurs - Lost Creek to Notta (Creek)
8) Fri - Notta to GC
9) Sat - GC to Rabbit Lake Trailhead

We had an AMAZING hike and spent 8 days on the trail. We did a food/fuel cache at the Ottertail junction and avoided carrying all our stuff up to Nagle. I did my best to clear all the branches and new growth on the Nagle loop and down to Ottertail (much easier on the way back). There are about 40 significant blowdowns from GC to Ottertail and about 15 - 20 on the Nagle loop. We were able to clear routes through or around all of them. We had only one minor nav issue when we were on the Blue return trail from Nagle and encountered an apparent other Blue sidetrail leading to a campsite right by a creek. It took a few minutes to refind the main trail as both the main return loop and sidetrail were both Blue blazed. (Didn't realize it was a blue sidetrail off a blue sidetrail). Apart from that, we had no trouble at all. Loved the Perch (spent over an hour there) and we also spent two hours at the Ottertail Falls - thanks again for the great advice!!

You folks have done an amazing job clearing the trail. Jen and I took 700 photographs and detailed notes so we'll be putting together a detailed trip report.

We'd love to get together and learn more about the trail with you sometime. We are definitely coming back!!

My cheque is literally in the mail to help support your fine work!

All the best to you!

Dave S.

Link to this message

scouter_joe

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 3, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the leads Ed . I'll follow up and see if some of the trail maintenence dates might work out .
Scott , I'll let you know how it goes if I can make it happen . scouter Joe
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 432

Posted on Friday, September 4, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just met some people that would like to hike this trail. That is why I am bumping it.
I have the boxer in Brampton.

Bill
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, September 4, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hehe

A Boxer In Brampton
A Wrassler In Brantford
A Jujitsuer In Bradford

Them WV lads have one in every port, eh Bill?

Sundown
 Link to this message

scouter_joe

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I spent 7 days on the trail helping to clear the trail , develope campsites and repaint markers . We also put up quite a few signs . There are still 3 guys working on this till next Monday and will complete the section to Mclaren Creek. I was with the group from about 6kms north of Four Bass lake to Grand Campment Bay and the trail is cleared marked and has campsites . established with 4 tent pads each .
The trail is in great shape and has some incredably beautiful look outs over Lake Temiskaming and surrounding Lakes . I will be back to hike the whole trail likely next year . scouter Joe
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 437

Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sundown,
I have a 112 # Boxer @ home. He is almost twice the size as most.

Bill
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, I remember the pics Bill... Nice Lookin' Dog, too

Sundown
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1097

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some of the most beautiful scenery in Temagami is along the trail. I am never disappointed.
 Link to this message

supertramp

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i will be coming up in Oct for a leisure week-end hike staying within the Roosevelt rd loop.i would like to fish along the way-i am curious if anyone would be so kind as to give me the main fishing species for these lakes-Friday-Cliff-Fat Rib-Johnson-Reade and hearst or even what to skip over.this is a first visit for me so if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated-thx
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Friday: Smallmouth and Splake. Cliff: Smallmouth and pike. Rib: Lake Trout, Pickeral, Pike, Smallmouth, Whitefish. Johnson: Whitefish and Pike. Hearst: Lake Trout.
 Link to this message

supertramp

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thats great!thx a bunch-nothing like not knowing what's in the lake
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 209

Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just be sure to read the regs closely come Sept 30th !
 Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everybody,

I just back a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help noticing someone had cobbled this thing together at Grand Campment Bay...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2435/3957786846_a10 d53827c_b.jpg

That's me in the foreground...any ideas as to who might have built it?

I also did some wading & cooling off in L. Temiskaming and found some interesting stuff in the water. I took some of it out and took pictures but I'm having trouble uploading it...I'll try again later.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1100

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Made by a bear. They are very smart in Temagami, have opposable thumbs and enjoy playing SimCity.
 Link to this message

scott

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

LOL, the next time I see one with a Nintendo DS I'll drop my can of Frontiersman and throw some of my son's old games at him.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home