Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through November 2, 2009 * Diamond-Wakimika-Obabika which direction to go? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

wonder_slug

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 3, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone, I'm planning on making this trip this month and my paddling partner and I are arguing over the direction we should travel - clockwise or counter clockwise - is one really better than the other?

We're going to be starting at Sandy Inlet.

Thanks for any advice you can give us!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 201

Posted on Thursday, September 3, 2009 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Generally speaking, it is paddled counter clockwise, likely due to expected wind patterns.
Other than that you gain the flow direction on Wakimika River.

Classic trip, have fun!
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 3, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Personally, I would go through Bob Lake to Obabika then UP Wakimika (not preferable, but not that hard, either) north to Diamond and hope for a westerly to blow you back. But then again, I am not quite sure where Sandy Inlet is, either.
Going through Bob Lake is a must and it takes the sting out of that long paddle, the length of Diamond. You come down through the Old Growth, as well and it is an easy paddle across to Wakimika Creek.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 428

Posted on Thursday, September 3, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

wonder_slug
Many do it many different ways. Some do Sandy Inlet to Napoleon Portage to the
North Arm then Sharp Rock Inlet ad portage to Diamond then to Wakimika and Obabika then the Old Growth Trails and south on Obabika to Obabika Inlet and Lake Temagami and Back to Sandy Inlet. This is the classic route. It should take about 5 days so you can walk the trails. Another way is to start at Sandy Inlet to Napoleon Portage to the
North Arm and then south to the Canton Lakes and then into Bob Lake to Shish Kong to the Trails and then Obabika. From Obabika you can go North through Wakimika to Diamond and back to Sandy Inlet or go South and go through Obabika Inlet and back to Sandy Inlet. There is also the Mathias Lakes area this route goes from Bob to Wakimika. Using the Matias Lakes route you could come down through Bob to Shis Kong and then Obabika to Wakimika and across to Bob and then to Diamond and to Sharp Rock and Sandy Inlet.
There are so many way to go trough the area.
Search on this site for all the routes.

Bill
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, September 3, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've gone both directions. I think I prefer starting at Sharp Rock and going counter clokwise.

When we went the other (clockwise) way we cut out the Wakimika River and Lake and went through the small lakes out of the NE of Obabika through Bob. One portage in there was a real bog though. ;)

Overall I don't think there is a real advantage except the flow of the river in favor of conterclockwise.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 430

Posted on Thursday, September 3, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have to correct myself, it is the Misabi Lakes not the Mathias Lakes.

Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home