Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through November 2, 2009 * Student Working Groups in Temagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I realize I have touched on this already, elsewhere, but...
Next year we will once again be heading out on our ten day canoe trip.
As I have said earlier, this year we are going to Killarney again, due to the opinion that Temagami is too unstable weatherwise at the end of September/beginning of October. An opinion I disagree with, for the record
The teachers who run the program, PURSUITS, are huge fans of Craig Macdonald. We buy all of our winter gear from him and he consults on everything from candle choice to route selection.
I am starting to get a feel for this forum and appreciate that you folks are about as expert and knowledgeable of the situation in Temagami as I am going to find anywhere....So, with that in mind, at your own liesurely pace and in a "I will not hold you to whatever you suggest" way...
What would you do with 24 students and eight adults and ten days in Temagami.
I am not looking for just a route. I am looking for that perfect combination of work, exploration, adventure, solitude and the intangible that is Temagami.
This is a one semester program in which the students are with the teachers the entire time.
We are mostly in the field. Canoeing, hiking, snowshoeing and winter camping.
But these students will unlikely continue to pursue these types of activities (university bound to a person, determined to get REAL jobs)
and the canoe trip is the highpoint of the program.
So...here is the opportunity to impress upon the consciousnesses (is that a word?) of 24 future movers and shakers the importance of Temagami.
So it is not a chance I want to squander.
Reading your posts, I feel that you guys are the living legacy of this place, in your own individual ways.
We want to do something that thirty years later, a person who did this course will pause and say,
"Man, that was special!" And maybe make better choices when he/she goes to vote or whatever.
Sorry to get all political.
I am very passionate about this program. My daughter did it in its first year and then again as an EA. She took my canoe down the bolder garden at the top of the North Lady Evelyn when she was twelve, in spite of my protests and has been smitten with Temagami and canoeing all her life. So I am thinking of grandkids in Temagami, already (don't tell her, she's nineteen). OK, we are off to Maskinonge on Saturday, hope to bump into some of you up there.
shalom

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home