Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Florence-Airplane-Solace PP Nastawgan < Previous Next >

Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning next springs 2 week Temagami epic, and was looking for an alternate way into Solace PP from Florence Lake.
Has anyone heard if the trails from Florence into Airplane Lake are viable, or is this a winter only route?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1094

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The only direct route between Florence and Solace is through Bluesucker Lake. Airplane Lake was a winter route.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 180

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know someone who planned a trip in there, but don't know if he actually made it. I've contacted him to see if he's interested in chatting with you. Not the most reliable communicator though, so don't hold your breath.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 205

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Historic Map designates the route from Florence to Airplane Lakes as a summer route.

I would be suprised if anyone has made this route. The first portage is 1500m. between the cleft of two knolls, so at least you know where to look.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 181

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just because no one else (that you know of) has done it is no reason why you can't. Let us know how it goes!
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 18

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The first portage out of Florence would be a good hike, but the rest look OK. A total of 16 portages totalling 8200m from Florence to Bluesucker, including dead end diversion to Horseshoe.

Even if no one has made this route before, I'd still be inclined to try if someone can assure me that the lakes are nice! Anyone fly over them recently? I'd hate to spend 3 or 4 days bushwacking to find a bunch of swamps, or worse a bunch of lakes with gravel roads right to the shore.

We are planning to be in Temagami for 2 weeks next spring, and have 4 days slotted for Florence to Solace (avg 10km per day). So, we can take our time and blaze the portages. I'm not one for brightly coloured flagging tape though, so we would only mark the trails with axe blazes. We'll also be travelling very early so we can hopefully make full use of the creeks to keep the portages as short as possible for now.

Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here is a detailed topo of the area. The first portage is 1600m, and rises 250ft. Its a good one, but should be doable with 4 guys in 6-8 hours by my past experience.

Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

6-8 hours? That's a lot of packs.

Just for comparison. The biggest portage I've done is 5,300m, Dickson/Bonfield in APP. Lots of up & down & swampy broken rock areas. Certainly comparable to some of the narrow & rocky portages I've experienced in Temagami. Double carry 50-60lb loads. I walk slow. It took me 6-8 hours. Total distance covered 16,000m.

I would expect a 1,600m portage, even with that rise, to be 1-1.5 hours for each carry + 30-45 minutes walking back for another load.

That being said, everyone moves at their own pace.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 208

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Preacher, that is because there will be no discernable portage there when Simon arrives. All that will be visible is a bluff of trees hiding the 250' accent over 1500 m. of undulating footing and impenetrable fir and spruce. But somewhere in there, hiding within the thousands of trees there will be some blazes marking the way, maybe. The foot path will be long gone, many of the blaze trees will have fallen down.

It took two pals and I three days to find and open 800m. of nastawgan on Pinetorch Creek this spring. It would have taken half a day to blaze a fresh trail over the shortest distance.
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 98

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Al makes a good point - there may or may not be evidence of a trail in that location.

There is also a big difference between re-opening Natawgan and flashing a new line: To do the first one properly, to accurately place the trail, takes a lot of time and patience; flagging, re-flaging, looking at hundreds of trees. This should be looked at as an archeological exercise IMO. To cut a line is actually prettty quick in comparison: you go where you can, with the path of least resistance - not necessarily where the old trail went.

I think the chance of finding something here might be good because of its proximity to Good Tent - they might have been using this for hunting/fishing. Still, 30-50 years makes for a lot of growth and the going would not be easy. Particulary on the Upper Yorston.

Whatever you do, I think you should consult OP and the MNR before hand. While it might be argued that this is not legally necessary, I believe it to be the correct course and in our best interest - long term.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 182

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 4:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Who knows, it might be in relatively good shape, kept open by ice fishermen?

I like to use a lot of flagging tape when reopening an old route, but take it down when done. Then you can blaze.

Probably legally necessary to obtain permission for anything beyond regular portage maintenance (that which makes a trail passable again) on portions within the parks. That would be approximately the entire length of the first portage out of Florence. After that, you're in a conservation reserve, where there are fewer restrictions.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 183

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is what my contact said:

"Have yet to make it all the way up there, but hope to get into N.Yorston Lk. sometime. The h20 level is dropping rapidly and the stream or streams running from the north into Bluesucker Lk are kinda tight. At least the first few miles up that i got into. Lots of beaver activity as well. Never say never, but getting up in there is going to a good solid challenge. I'm heading back up that way & if i get the time i will snap a few images off ....of the start anyway."

So it sounds like he's approaching this area from the south.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1096

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As far as I know it was last used as a winter route by a trapper -- a post-nastawgan-map trapper, that is. He didn't go into Florence. He got into Airplane from Solace. Part of his line followed the chain of lakes across the top of Solace and Maggie lakes. Not sure if he still traps. If you are lucky those trails will still be open, albeit cut for snowmachine treads not tripping boots. Happy trails.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great points about permissions! I forget that this area is provinvial park.

Is this area legally accessible to ice fisherman? Or do they illegally bypass the gates as the 4-wheelers do?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home