Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Haentschel Crossover - Sturgeon to the Wanapitei < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 206

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am interested in this route, specifically the correct path. Does this route cross into Rainy Lk or go south in to Sunk Lk?

Link to this message

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure if I understand your question or not, so if i misunderstand, forgive me...

Historically, from what I've been told, both routes have been used?

That is, either Cedar-Rainy-Haentschel or Cedar-Sunk-Haenschel.

Link to this message

Post Number: 207

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am looking to understand the current in use route, perhaps they are both in use.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Alscool,

I've been interested in this route as well, but like you, I haven't been able to find much information. I tried on the canoe routes website as well and received some information about the portages.

I made my way into Stewart this year, but that was as far as I was able to go. I had an old map and the newer roads caused some problems.

I've heard the same as you, both routes have been historically used. To me, the Rainy route looks better, but most of the maps I've seen with this route seem to suggest the Sunk route, such as the Hap Wilson Temagami route (and such as the one you have posted).

Sorry I can't be of much more help. I plan on doing the route early next year, so I'll try to update then.

Please let me know if you find any more information.

Link to this message

Post Number: 210

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, I have mapped the main route as presented by Wilson. It would be valuable to the FOT mapping project for someone to report back on existing conditions in this crossover to the Wannapetei.

Interesting to hear that newer roads are interfering with negotiating this route.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

As I mentioned, I do plan on doing this trip early next year. I can report back anything you need, just let me know if there is anything in particular that you are looking for.

As for the roads, it is probably more appropriate to say that I haven't been that far up that road in a long time and thus, I wasn't aware of the change (ie. the washout and that the Stobie Rd (Mile 32) had turned into a makeshift highway).
 Link to this message

Post Number: 212

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Campites and portage details - location and condition.

Campsites - large or small based on 3 tents or more. Location can be placed on a topo map from first hand observation on the land. Portage gps tracks are needed.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sure, I'll make sure to keep track of that stuff as I cross it. I plan on checking both routes if possible.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Got into Haentschel last weekend. I have some information if you are looking for it.

Good trip, and it's a beautiful lake.

Let me know.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 819

Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Please do talk to us. We are interested.
None of us have been in there.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sure, no problem ed

I've wanted to get into Haentschel for a while now. I had read about it in an old Explore Magazine article (2002).

We went from Stewart to Cedar to the unnamed ponds (2), Sunk, Haentschel Creek, then into Haentschel itself.

The trip itself was done from Saturday to Monday. The weather was hot, and the bugs were bad. The water levels on all the lakes were good (not far from the high water mark). I think every portage had muddy sections, some (Sunk to Haentschel Creek) were very muddy. The portages after the first unnamed pond were hard to find, especially the one into Haentschel, and were very thick. Lots of downed trees to climb over, sharp turns, and tight passage w/ the canoe. There were some old blazes, and some old flagging, but you really had to look to find them. We flagged some of the worse areas for our way out, especially the portage into Haentschel, which was very hard to find and an to stay on. It took us almost 7 hours on the way in, and 6 on the way out.

We left Sudbury Saturday morning around 8am and drove down the Portelance Rd to the turnoff at Stewart Lake (again, got a little turned around, but found it quickly).

Took a short portage from the parking area (there were a couple of trailers there for the long weekend) to Stewart Lake. The portage is to the right of the old road and past the 'outhouse' that is there. It's pretty short and you can follow the winding creek until it gets deep enough to paddle.

Basically paddle across the lake to the next portage, which is at a clearing (ATV trail). There is a large clearing/campsite (3 tents +) there with a fire pit, however, there is garbage around. It's a short portage to the ATV trail, then follow the trail a little until you hit the portage into Cedar. This is a fairly well used area (ATV access).

Cedar looks like a decent lake, and there is a campsite on the small island to the left of the takeout (I'd say 1 tent, maybe 2 at most). The portage to the unnamed lake is harder to find, but once there it is well marked (recently blazed and cleared somewhat). Not sure why this portage is cleared so well.

The first unnamed pond is actually a nice spot with clean water. It's a very short paddle to the portage, but starting from this point the portages become less used and more difficult to find. The map above to start this thread is actually very accurate.

To get to the second unnamed pond you walk through a large bay full of labrador tea. Another very short paddle gets you to the next portage.

The portage to Sunk at the end of the pond to the left. Sunk Lake look ok, but it's another quick paddle to the portage, as you paddle to the west until the end of the lake. The portage is to the right and is the first of the longer portages. It starts low, then has a couple of inclines.

The pond (or Haentschel Creek) awaits at the end of the portage. We took a quick look up to see the access to Rainy, which looks possible, however I would expect some liftovers. The portage into Haentschel is the hardest to find and it took us a while. It's tucked in a little ways, and you can't paddle to the trail's entrace. You have to take out a little to the right. We finally saw a small piece of old flagging on a tree deep from the water.

This portage is long, and the whole thing has a slight incline (w/ the odd sharp incline). It's not a bad portage, all things considered. It ends on a nice rock (w/ some quartze or something) looking into Haentschel. It's a very nice spot.

We got into Haentschel at 6pm, paddled down to the large island, where I had heard there was a campsite. As we got closer, we realized it didn't look too promising. We paddled over to
the small island on the opposite side of the lake from the large island as it look like something might be there. Again, as we got closer, it didn't look promising. However, once we paddled to the back side of the island (facing the shoreline) we saw the campsite(N47.12.564; W80.55.633). It's actually a very nice site. Good swimming, enough spots for up to 3 tents, nice rock leading into the water and to sit. Lots of blueberry bushes. A fire pit was there, but it didn't have any ashes (not used in a while). There was old garbage in a pit behind the sitting area, however, it was old stuff (stubbies and old booze bottles). No other garbage that we found. We quickly set up the tent, bug tent and got water pumped. Probably got to the site around 6:30 and were in the bug tent for 7-7:30 for the night. Bugs died down around 10:30 or so.

Sunday: we explored the lake. It really is a beautiful lake. Clear, clean, and deep water. Lots of old growth surrounding the lake. And, as we found out, very good fishing. We had packed light because we weren't sure about the portages, but we did sneak in a very small fishing rod (not a very good one, but we thought we'd give it a try). Well, the line went in the water 5 times, we caught 4 Lake Trout. All pretty small, (1-2 lbs). I would think if you got deeper, you would get some bigger fish. Lots of shoals throughout the lake as well. There looks to be another potential campsite on a point in the south/east side of the lake (N47.12.607; W80.54.760); probably only 1-2 small tents, but would do if needed. There is a fire pit there. There is an old clearing (logging?) on the large point across from the potential campsite. There is a boat cached (fly-in I presume). On the far side of the lake to the West (the first extension of the lake) there is a fry pan tied to a tree w/ writing on the back posting dates of trips through there by someone.

Monday, we got up early to beat the heat, packed up and left. We got out around 2pm, and home for 4pm.

It was a very good trip. Hard work, lots of bugs, and some difficult portages, but well worth it. Haentschel is a gem. Very remote, a nice wilderness feel, certainly hard to reach, and it obviously doesn't see a lot of people.

Portage Lengths (approx):
Stewart to Cedar - 150-200 metres
Cedar to Unnamed - 500 metres
Unnamed 1 to Unnamed 2 - 300 metres
Unnamed 2 to Sunk - 150 metres
Sunk to Unnamed 3 - 700 metres
Unnamed 3 to Haentschel - 1000 metres
As you can see, Hap Wilson's book is pretty close to actual. I was quite impressed, especially considering he doesn't talk about this route, it's only an add-on on 1 of the maps.

GPS Waypoints:
Portage to Cedar
Portage to Unnamed Pond #1
Unnamed Pond #1
Portage to Unnamed Pond #2
Unnamed Pond #2
Portage to Sunk
Sunk Lake
Portage to Haentschel Creek (or Unnamed Pond #3)
Haentschel Creek (or Unnamed #3)
Portage to Haentschel Lake
Haentschel Lake

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Link to this message

Post Number: 823

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks mjb1.
I am impressed by the detail and I am sure my colleagues will be also.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home