Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Suggestions for A Canoe Trip I'm Planning < Previous Next >

Link to this message

joenot443

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

I'm planning a canoe trip in Temagami around certain lakes and points on interest, and I was wondering if it would be possible for any of you to give me some suggestions. The lakes that I will be canoeing through are
Lake Temagami, Makobe Lake, Frederick Lake, Cedar Lake, Elk Lake Obabika. I am also planning on visiting Maple Mountain, Ishipatina Ridge and Bear Island. What kind of route would you suggest I take so that I can visit these lakes and areas with the least amount of portage distance? Additionally, what kind of food do you suggest I bring, and what kinds of fish would I be able to catch at these locations? I greatly appreciate your feedback and advice.

Thank you very much.
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Joenot; How much time are you allowing to do this trip? It covers a huge area, you may want to break it up in 2 or more trips. If its minimum portaging you are looking for you may want to just do the Obabika loop with a side trip to Maple Mountain to start with. Going to Ishpatina involves a great deal of portaging. Do you have the Temagami Canoe Routes Planning Map? The fish species varies greatly from lake to lake in the area. There is also a map, Fishing In The Temagami Distict, that will show you the fish species of each individual lake in the area, it should really be updated but it is still very good for a general guide.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I Concur Precisely... Mowat Landing to Makobe Lake to Elk Lake to Mowat Loop requires approximately 35 Portages alone... plus the invariable Liftovers.

Sundown
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curious, & please take no offence. What skill level are you? How long have you been canoe tripping?

What do you call minimal portaging? For me it's anything under 2km of portaging a day with no single portage more than 1500m.

When do you plan to go? Water levels can vary a lot. From get out and walk to so high you shouldn't go for fear of being swept over waterfalls.

Hitting all those locations sounds like 2 weeks minimum to me.

Hap Wilson has a great book for planning your route.

I'd suggest doing a fly-in. Land close to Ishpatina, then cut across for Maple Mountain and finish with Bear Island. At Obabika you can check out Spirit Rock, rock paintings, Three Sisters, Granmother & Granfather rocks. Maybe even get a guided tour of those things by Alex Mathias.

Fishing is lake trout, pickerel, smallmouth & pike. Do not plan on fish for any meals.

If you don't dehydrate your own food, it's definitely a money & weight saver. The park areas may (pretty sure they do) ban glass bottles & tin cans. $50 on a dehydrator has saved me well over $1000 in the past 10 years. Meal planning is a whole discussion of its own.
 Link to this message

joenot443

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry for my delayed response, I do realize that this is quite a long trip and I am retired so I can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months away for this trip. I have been canoe tripping my whole life, and although I am fine with canoeing all day, portages greatly take a strain on my back. I have purchased both of those maps mr_pike. I plan on going sometime soon; within the next week or so. I appreciate all of your input, and I will definitely look into the Hap Wilson book.
Thanks again
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh well then, enjoy and know that you are envied!

I think the fly-in paddle-out idea is best. Basically cuts your minimum trip time in half. More time to spend exploring and enjoying. Less time spent trying to get where you want to go.

If you plan for more than a couple weeks, maybe you can arrange for a resupply. I think there are camps/resorts along the way. Takes a load off your back, or allows you to pack more luxuries.
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Joenot

I grew up on the Makobe River, and I suggest it is one of the best "Backstrainers" in the North.

I note you didnt mention "Makobe River" but "Makobe Lake", though... so if you have a bad back, I'd strongly suggest you come into Makobe Lake via Lady Evelyn River, Grays River, Grays Lake, and Banks Lake... then backtrack the way you came, thus avoiding the Makobe River.

Regards

Sundown
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 438

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

joenot443
After you get Hap's book, Temagami Canoe Routes, I suggest that you break up the trip into 3 or 4 trips and do them over a summer or maybe 2. As others have said some parts a back breaking work. Yes if you were out for 45 to 60 days you maybe able to do the trip. Take along a Sat. phone or a Spot in case of emergencies.

Bill
 Link to this message

burtjames

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just noted while reading this that there is a map, apparently titled "Fishing in the Temagami District". Any clue where I might find this map? I'm located in Ottawa, and I'm hoping I can either order it or find it at a store here.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Fishing+in+the+T emagami+District%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-Sea rchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLJ

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home