Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Maskinonge, , Florence, , Naismith, Sturgeon < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello fellows,
just got back last night. The crossover at Pilgrim Creek to Yorston still confounds us. We got good and lost. The portage sign is up at the top of a long hill from the takeout, after crossing the creek which was flowing fast. There is a ribbon marking a trail which is definitely the wrong way after you cross the stream. It goes left (north). Once on the right trail, it is very overgrown and full of fallen trees. We were a sad bunch of guys.
The campsite at the top of Yorston Lake was, as usual, a mess. We saw some ATV'ers as we crossed.
The portage into Florence was very wet but do-able.
Ames Creek was terrible. After the put in we had to hike through bog down the east side for 300 metres or so and then paddle in sucking mud for an hour to get out.
Naismith was low at the top until Dorothy then floatable but there was a fallen tree every ten minutes or so that had to be lifted over.
The rapids were too shallow to paddle, so lining and liftovers all day. The lower Naismith into Obabika was beautiful but tree strewn, as well.
The old campsite with the hunt camp was a bit spooky and messy on the east side of Lahay.
The new campsite below Wakimika Creek on the Obabika, at the old logging camp was brand new, the thunder box just installed.
The Obabika has some new blockages, as well.
The Sturgeon was moving fast and the campsite at the Kelly Lake crossover is pretty sad. We went south through Kelly Lake and the first portages are very overgrown due to all the rain this summer. A very long route that took us 11 days but should have been given two weeks at least.
Too many portages and the ABS Swift boats are great but bloody heavy, As we age we wonder how long we can continue to carry them. We had one delaminate on completely.
We saw no one canoeing the entire time we were out. Perfect weather.
Thanks for all the tips. Ed, the campsite on Florence was the highlight of the trip. We built a sweat lodge on the big rock and jumped into the water immediately.
The streams are cold already and we had below zero temperatures for most nights.
Colours are just starting to change.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The streams are cold already and we had below zero temperatures for most nights.

Hmmm... Looks like prime conditions for "Icing", Ed?

Link to this message

Post Number: 1098

Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You covered a lot of territory.

MNR, apparently, has been through the Pilgrim-to-Yorston portages twice since I reported last summer the need for clearing. So, the first two portages -- the short one west of Pilgrim Creek, and the second on the east side of Pilgrim Creek -- off the Sturgeon still need help, it sounds like. I can't visualize any long hill though, unless you mean the one up the bank of the Sturgeon from the Pilgrim Triangle.

What about the last portage into Yorston Lake? The last half was also in need of more clearing. Does it still need it?

No second coming of blackflies as the creek temperatures dropped?

Link to this message

Post Number: 686

Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The blackflies were there.I was camped on the Linger to Seagram Lake portage on Saturday September 26th. I had earlier decided that I did not need to carry any bug repellant on this last trip of the Season, based on the lack of bugs at COTS, a week earlier.....I was wrong.
The area weather for this last part of September was great with sunny conditions and mid 20 temperatures, until Monday 28th when it rained heavily for 20 hours straight, then stopped abruptly for 2 hours in the middle of the night before continuing on well into Tuesday morning and the daytime temperature dropped to about 4 degrees.
It was time to get out after a great September.

Link to this message

Post Number: 687

Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't quite understand what you meant by this:
"The new campsite below Wakimika Creek on the Obabika, ....." Where are you referring to?
 Link to this message

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am referring to an old logging camp on a grassy patch that is up on a sandy, steep bank. It is about an hour upstream from the portage. It has always been a campsite but the Rangers have installed a thunderbox and built a firering. It had never been used until we got there. There is something fun about using a brand new Ontario Parks thunderbox.
the hill on the portage I am referring to is after crossing Pilgrim Creek there is a steep climb to where they have the portage marked and then a long, more gentle climb to the put in to the next lake, I cannot remember its name. Anyway, after being lost for an hour in the wrong direction with all our gear, it seemed like a very long hill.
I am just back from ten days in Killarney with students and I cannot get over the difference in the portages. They may be long and steep at times, but all clearly marked and fairly clear of obstacles. The number of windfallen trees on our trip was truly remarkable.
The portage into Yorston was unremarkable, so I guess it was OK. Blackflies? No. but the sandy campsites on the Obabika and the Kelly Crossover were full of sandflies. They cleared away at dusk.
I was also surprised at the amount of obstruction on the Obabika River. I know the big log jams are always there, but there seemed to be more than I remember from a few years ago.
Naismith was another story altogether. Every five minutes out of the canoes, but it was a beautiful day and we were laughing the whole way and managed to cut a few large trees out ourselves. the cascades were truly beautiful. A bit more water and we could have shot some of them.
Quite a trip, too much for just eleven days. Eight hours of solid going every single day except for our day on Florence, which was our target and highpoint of the trip. Seeing the hills surrounding Florence Lake as you approach from Blue Sucker was simply amazing. The sun was lighting them but we were still in the shade of the shade of the shoreline. I imagine it is pretty wet up there now with the rain we've had this last two weeks. Cheers, back in the city dealing with reality.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home