Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Suggestions for 2010 summer trip - Florence? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. After having been to Lady Evelyn/Sucker Gut/Willow Island Lakes one year for 5 nights and another trip to Temagami/Cross Lake loop trip for 5 nights, my friend and I are considering another multi day trip to that area next summer.

I've been thinking of a possible Florence Lake fly-in and heading back towards Temagami. How long would such a trip take, approx, at a moderate rate? On the planner map, looks like a fair number of portages heading back via the southern end of Florence Lake - how hard are these? Would it be easier returning via the north end? Are there lots of rapids?

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did a 5 night Florence fly in -Duff-Lady E. River-McPherson-Katherine-North Channel Lady E. R- Sucker Gut - Lady Evelyn Lake --Diamond --pick up at Sharp Rock with a moderate pace.

Light raipds (lots of lifting/lining in low water), but nothing technically challenging. It was a very enjoyable route.

Out from the SOuth I have gone out Florence into Bluesucker and then Pinetorch for a fly-out....that was bit more work.

Haven't ever connected back to the main lake going southward.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 124

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd allow a week for both the north and south option.
I did both in the 90's (the south option I did going TO Florence Lake from Obabika Inlet and the north one via North Channel, I ended at Sandy Inlet on Ferguson Bay)

(Message edited by Otter Mel on September 27, 2009)
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

*nods* A week isn't a bad idea

iirc -
fly in am day 1 top of Florence

Night 1 - Duff
Night 2 - At junction of Lady E Rivers
Night 3 - Shangri-La
Night 4 - Sucker Gut
Night 5- Lady Evelyn Lake (south end)

pick up Sharp Rock mid afternoon day 6

but you could certainly slow it down a bit and relax on the portages. A couple extra days could be welcomed, but we didn't exactly keep a brutal pace.

We tend to travel from around 9 or10am-3 or4 pm only.

(Message edited by dergon darkhelm on September 27, 2009)
 Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the comments so far.

Is the South Channel at the end of Lady Evelyn River as easily navigable as the North Channel?

Looking at my planning map, looks like lots of portages via the south end of Florence L heading twards Wakimika L. Are these mostly swampy areas or are they nicer than that? Are those portages easy to find, generally?
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"navigable", at least in the late season when I tend to trek, doesn't apply to either very much. Lots of lining& portaging and not so much nav-ing.

Do you have Hap's book? It gives details on all the rapids and portages on both.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 127

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

South Channel should be OK even at this time of the year (but then you either do the 2 miler into Diamond or go into Lady Evelyn Lake).
Going from Florence south the portages are not that bad but expect lots of trees over Nasmith Creek and don't miss Dorothy Lake portage and keep your eye on the map going south on Wakimika River.
 Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What is and where do I get Hap's book?
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Wilson/sneak.ht m

Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just flew in to Florence this August and came down the LE River (North Channel) to a boat pick-up at Sharp Rock. We did the trip in 5 nights, 4 real days of travelling, two of which were half days. Florence is one of the nicest lakes in the region, be sure to camp at least one night there. Duff didnt seem like the best place to camp. Once you hit the LE River, I didnt find any great spots until Macpherson. Tons of camping downstream of Macpherson.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We just came back from Maskinonge to Florence via BlueSucker and out of Florence via Ames Creek to Pine Torch and down Naismith to Obabika, Sturgeon.
The south exit is very difficult and requires a lot of in and out of the canoe. We were cutting out sweepers with our saws all along Naismith and Ames is almost unusable due to low water on Ames Creek (Beavers??)the north route is far easier. There is a way to cut out a lot of meandering river and cut across to the Lady Evelyn. It is poorly marked but easy to figure out with the topo map.
The campsite on the north section of Florence on the penninsula is very beautiful. As is Duff Lake. The island campsite on MacPherson has a nice feel.
We went Florence, MacPherson, Fat Man's, then crossed over to Lady Evelyn where there is a beautiful campsite on an island just before you head south towards Diamond. Fifth night on the beach of Fergueson Bay, beside the vehicle. A beautiful route.
But the southern route has an austere beauty that is hard to describe. Going down Naismith into Obabika into the Sturgeon is an experience worthy of the phrase, wilderness canoeing. A lot of paddling, endless turns but beautiful sights around each bend. And a hell of a workout.Our route had 30 kms of portaging. Old farts who think they can still hump it like they were 30 years old.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 689

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 7:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman:
Are you referring to the crossover thru Dees Lake? Or to the crossover further downstream that bypasses the junction between the south and north branches?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home