Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Trethewy Lake..... < Previous Next >

Link to this message

temagami_glenn

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does trip planning ever end? hahaha....

My brother eand I are looking into the possibility of planning a fly in/ canoe out trip for the third week in May 2010.

We are looking at getting our vehicle shuttled from Temagami to Red Squirrel Access.

We wish to fly out of Temagami and into Trethewy, and canoe down the river and out to Red Squirrel..

Can someone offer some assistance as to the proposed lenght of trip?? (we are planning on 8 days)

Who can shuttle us back from Red?

What is the approx cost of a flight for 2 guys, one canoe and 2 packs (total weight 560lbs)?

What is the fishing like and is there any major issues that may need to be contended wit?

I've looked at Haps book and pieced together the trip.. Around 80 kms with 28 portages totalling 8800 metres.

Thanks
Glenn
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 210

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Beaver was $665/hr this year.

Send Darren an email and get a direct quote for costs.. lakeland@ontera.net
 Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

temagami_glenn (the tripper formerly known as Algonquin Glenn) wrote: "What is the fishing like and is there any major issues that may need to be contended wit?"

Hey, Wayne....don'tcha got any advice about fishin'?

Barbara

(Message edited by Barbara on October 27, 2009)
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 211

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

LOL Barbara... missed that part while I was snacking on my lunch. Haven't fished Trethewy.. maybe I should add it to my "drop in" list for next season. We miss you on the other side..

Only caution I can state is most stuff (pike, pickeral, lakers) doesn't open until the 3rd Saturday in May.. so be aware of that in the scheduling of the trip. According to my fishing maps the only thing in Trethewy are Lakers.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey man, I can tell you that the Lady Evelyn River is good for trout. Someone told me the portage out of Trethewy is not in great shape, but that was several years ago.
I got a quote of $700 to fly into Florence, one canoe, two people and packs.
As to the shuttle, no idea.
Actually, I think I am confused. Does Trethewy go into the Lady Evelyn or Makobe/Greys?
Either way, maybe two nights to Katharine Lake/Shangri La, a night on the north channel, maybe Centre Falls (easy day) another night on the crossover to Lady Evelyn via Willow Island Lake, one more night somewhere on Lake Temagami before Ferguson Bay (Red Squirrel Road access).That's only five nights, throw in an extra night to be safe. Down stream most of the way. Good luck
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 212

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you want to park at Lakeland.. load the canoe and go and then be picked up at Red Squirrel... Temagami Outfitters will fetch you and your canoe. Not sure what Dean will charge..but I overheard $150 to go pick up a canoe at Marten River PPark while I was in there chatting with him this summer.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 692

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami_Glenn:
I presume you will be travelling South out of Threthewey and then West towards Elissa Lake?
The portage out of Threthewey is not as shown on the planning map. It is a bit west just past the outlet of the creek. The creek has some nasty bits to it and you might want to bring along your axe and a saw to remove some Alders that will be residing in there.Unless you are a couple of young guys... it will take you most of the day to get to Gamble.There is a well used campsite on Gamble a bit off the road beside the lake... but the locals might be on it when the season opens.
8 days in total should be lots of time to get over to Red Squirrel..The trout season usually opens a bit earlier than pickerel, so check that out in case I am wrong and spend some time on Elissa and Gamble and in the upper part of the river trying your luck.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 213

Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Most of the "seasons" in the new Zone 11 open 3rd Saturday in May Ed. Thank the MNR for that thinking... Can't fish pike even at ice out anymore. Only thing open is a few stocked lakes for Lakers (closest lake would be Kitts), and Brook trout would be open as well.

Anyone that had a habit of fishing on Lake Temagami in Kokoko Bay, Spawning bay, or Loon bay.. or the Gull lake dam outlet should be aware by now that the sanctuary is in effect for an extra month now to the middle of June.

(Message edited by irishfield on October 27, 2009)

(Message edited by irishfield on October 27, 2009)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 693

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Irishfield:
I don't fish much in Temagami and only a bit in other places, so I have to look up the regulations everytime I think I might fish....
But am I to understand that Brook trout can still be taken earlier than the long weekend in May? Or did I get that wrong?
 Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne...are you leaving the hard work for me?

The link to the Fishing Regulations:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publ ication/STEL02_163615.html

hmmmm....seems like some updating should be happening....

Barbara

(Message edited by Barbara on October 28, 2009)

(Message edited by Barbara on October 28, 2009)
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you're looking to add something to the fishing life list, near the Red Squirrel take out is a little lake stocked with Aurora Trout. The regulations are very specific, not open every year. If you're lucky, it'll be open this year and you can catch the rarest trout in the country.

Maybe broker the car jockey with Camp Wanipitei. They're likely going back and forth from town past Red Squirrel on a regular basis. Very nice folks. You would be paddling past them anyway, right?
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I believe the Aurora trout lake you are referring to is Liberty lake, and it is not open until 2011. The MNR is rotating the stocked Aurora trout lakes on a 3 year rotation, so only a few lakes are open each year.

You are correct about the lakes having very specific regs (such as only "catching" 1 fish per day, even if released). However, try as you might to find a link to the regs on the convoluted MNR site.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah the MNR site sucks regarding this, but I'm kinda happy it does. Keeps the species as something of a boutique fish. If you're really serious you can find what you need to know.

I was lucky. 20+ years ago I happened to be camping near one of the lakes and heard about it just gabbing with the local MNR guys.

At the bottom of the page you can see the ~20 year old me.
http://www.brooktrout.ca/open-lakes-for-aurora-tro ut.htm
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 257

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Preacher

Do you have short shorts on there ....or just a long shirt?
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 214

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brookies open back in Feb Ed... so those ones you ate at ice out were legal after all ! lol
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 694

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice try but not entirely correct Irishfield:
I did not catch any brookies.
In 2005 and again in 2006, I found myself on Gamble on the second weekend in May.I met a couple of fishermen camped there in 2005 and we spoke for a bit. In 2006 they were there again and invited me to camp as well. They had beer and Brookies which they generously shared with me and they were fishing legally....
Like I said... I don't fish very much... but I do read and follow the Regs. when I decide that I might be fishing.
Now I don't even need a license... just a copy of the Regs.
And Barbara... I know where the Regs. are ... but who wants to invest all that time to read them when there are so many others around here who read them as thoroughly as if it was their bible.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 695

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I see that Wynn Lake is open this next year.

That was the most amazing fishing experience my family and I ever had.
But it is a very long fishing story and I posted it before somewhere... so I will spare you all a repeat.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home