Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Snow Level - Snowshoe trip in early January < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Am planning on snowshoeing to cottage in early January on Thistle Lake and wondering how deep the snow is. Obviously will keep my eyes on snow forecasts till then. I will have to do a seven hour snowshoe to get to our cottage which is quite isolated and want to plan on having the right snowhoes as 80% of the way there will be no trail and I do have to go around the lakes as ice will not be frozen enough and there are dams. Anyone who has snowshoed recently in the area with advice would be great.

Thanks
 Link to this message

dan_carpenter

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The link to the snow cover map in the "Current Conditions" section on the main Ottertooth Temagami page is apparently not working, but the link to the map and tabular info below might be of some help:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/snow/indexon

(Message edited by dan_carpenter on December 19, 2009)
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If the conditions remain the same, you should be able to cross the lakes by January. It's been steady cold.
 Link to this message

temagamirider

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

the police are still warning people to stay off the water. its been cold but the ice is definitely behind schedule this year. make sure you call for local conditions before you leave. be careful.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks temagamirider

I expected that, so will be extra vigilant and way all options before choosing a lake crossing which is currently unlikely.

Looking forward to going as I love snow trips in to the cottage. In November I stacked the cottage full of birch and, the generator is ready.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A 7 hour hike in snowshoes! Wow, I hope you'll be bundled up. Be sure to have someone you can contact when you reach your destination so they know you have arrived safely. Lots of things could happen on a 7 hour hike in the frozen wilderness.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 37

Posted on Saturday, January 2, 2010 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Heading out early tomorrow morning. Looking forward to the trip. Weather looks cold tomorrow morning but warming up for the next couple of days. Nice! Thanks for everyone's advice...will post a trip report on my way back. I have been negligent from a trip perspective in the past. I promise in the the next couple of months to post full reports of my older trips in case it can help anyone.

Good travelling.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home