Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Spring 2010 Sturgeon-Makobe Route Advice < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 3, 2010yellowcanoe25 02-3-10  2:19 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am flattered. I've been thinking a lot about your route (I am at work, after all) and it strikes me that you have the time, without a doubt, if you are prepared to go hard each day.
I have done every section you are planning and I would say the diciest, based on my experience, is the section from Blue Sucker to Ghoul Lake only because the portages were hard to find or the terrain had changed. Shallow bays had turned into grasslands at one that I remember.
Ghoul Lake/Twin Falls is fantastic fishing. As is Kettle.
There are some really steep goat paths going down the Sturgeon and the Pilgrim Creek crossover to Yorston Lake has always been a problem for me (lost twice). It is very rough and under-used.
In the Spring, you should be fine with MudChannel and Ames Creek. I am not sure what you meant by "remaining Naismith"? The portages are through a couple more lakes to the east of Hortense. Unless you are going a different route.
Dorothy has a lovely campsite. Naismith Creek will be fine. I did it in September with relatively few lift-overs and get-outs. Spring should make it a clear paddle.
From Wakimika you are an easy day to Obabika Inlet.
going upstream from MacPherson, there are six little portages all in a row that can really piss one off if your mood is down, but never relent.
There is a short cut from the Lady Evelyn to Florence River that cuts out a fair section of winding turns. I cannot remember the name of the lake you cut across but it is obvious from the topo.
Florence Lake is the crown jewel of Temagami, in my opinion. And you will paddle its entire length. The campsite in the north section is as beautiful as the one on the west side of the south section. both have massive rock protusions leading to the water's edge.
Man, it makes me want to go back there asap.
You will have the trip of your life, I am sure.
I am a huge fan of bringing as little as possible. Whenever I have travelled these areas, we have single carried almost every portage.
One has to be ruthless with the gear and the luxury items.
I disallowed a pair of nail clippers, once!!
There are decent fire pits on all campsites that I saw or stayed at. Maybe bring a small grill with you.
We don't bring a tent, just a tarp. In the spring that could be problematic with the flies.
Not my field of expertise. Others would know for sure when it is safe to count them out. If ever.
On a fourteen day trip, it will be tough to get it down to a single carry right away. You've got tough portages on the North Channel right off the bat, so good luck. In fact, there are no easy days on your route except for paddling Florence and your final day out.
Eight of us did a large chunk of your route this past September and we were/are old farts carrying too much Scotch, so you will do it standing on your head.
Once again, make it happen, brother.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 717

Posted on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

They also land on Chris Willis.That would get you close to Frank`s Falls.One portage away.Maybe they can go right up to Frank`s on Sucker Gut... not sure.

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Folks,

Received some of my topos today. What's interesting is that the new maps are printed on some type of plastic-based material. What's odd is that the contour lines on my old topo are more detailed and the lines darker. The contour intervals on the new map are 65 feet whereas the old are 50--I guess this explains the difference in detail. Both topos are produced by Natural Resources Canada.

It's pretty annoying, and I wouldn't recommend using the new maps (even though they are waterproof and durable). Just imagine trying to plan the next day in a poorly-lit tent.

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on February 4, 2010)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 718

Posted on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The new Maps may be printed on Tyvek a spun bonded polyethylene fiber.

You can print your own maps... go to the Natural Resources Canada website.
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/ma p
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, polyethylene. I use the nrcan site too, but I ultimately prefer the pre-printed maps.

By the way, the Chrismar 4 map is great. I have a courtesy draft copy, and they're very useful.

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on February 4, 2010)
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

By the way, since we're on the subject of maps, does anyone know when the Solace & Ishpatina and the Sturgeon map projects will be complete?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1140

Posted on Friday, February 5, 2010 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You will see Solace and Ishpatina by the end of April, at the latest.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, are you referring to the new Chrismar maps ?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1141

Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No. The maps discussed are online here at Ottertooth. They are the part of the latest Ottertooth mapping project, this one covering the upper Sturgeon area. Actually there are oodles of maps. Go to the Temagami main page:
http://www.ottertooth.com/temagami.htm

As for Chrismar, I can't recommend them. I do recommend Hap's book.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1143

Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yellowcanoe, the Solace map is now posted. Ishpatina will be next. It will be as large as, or larger than, the Upper Yorston map.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 1:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

brian - thanks, the Solace map is invaluable. It complements Hap's book, my topos, and even the Chrismar map.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1148

Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Be careful with the Chrismar maps. They are known for their errors.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I noticed a number of errors with the draft version of Temagami-4 (incorrect lake names) and other versions (phantom portages), but I still find they complement my topos and gps topo software. I find they work OK for planning, at least for past Temagami and Algonquin trips.

What I don't like, and I mentioned this elsewhere, are the new NRC maps-not as much contour detail as the 1996 versions.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1149

Posted on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 5:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Phantom portages! What a nice way of putting it. Normally those who find them after relying on Chrismar aren't so polite.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

problems with my e-mail account and the forum site was inacessable have kept me out of touch lately.
what is your current route shaping up to be?
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Folks,

Based on the latest feedback (mostly from DoubleBend on CCR, Brian, Ed, and Fireman), I've adjusted my route--by creating two from which I will choose. While not noted explicitly, both routes account for breaks, bad weather, and opportunities to smell the roses, especially the Twinkle Loop. While the Twinkle Loop certainly leaves time to smell the roses, I feel the Wawiagama Loop is more interesting (even though I bypass Florence) and a little more challenging (east to west and uphill through Misabi). However, even the Misabi is routed in fairly manageable chunks.

I know Iíve been making everyone dizzy with my constantly evolving plans, but I feel Iíve arrived at the most reasonable route(s). Your feedback has been incredibly helpful, so donít hesitate to keep it coming, if you like. Itíll likely help me choose one route over the other.

1. Wawiagama Loop

Day 1, Put-In - Wawiagama Lake
Night 1, Obabika
Night 2 - Shish-Kong, trails
Night 3 - Wakimika
Night 4 - Hortense
Night 5 - Chapin
Night 6 - Beaver or Pinetorch
Night 7 - Pinetorch, climb to tower if thereís time
Night 8 - Talking Falls
Night 9 - Pilgrim Lake
Night 10 - Solace Lake
Night 11 - Muck Lake
Night 12 - Limit Lake
Night 13 - Lower Pilgrim Creek
Night 14 - Upper Goose Falls, Sturgeon
Day 15 - Wawiagama Lake, use road if necessary

2. Twinkle Loop

Day 1, Put-In, Twinkle Lake
Night 1, Unnamed lake south of Pinetorch
Night 2, Ames Lake
Night 3, Upper Ames Creek (by ridge)
Night 4,5 - Florence
Night 6 - Pilgrim Lake
Night 7,8 - Solace Lake
Night 9 - Muck Lake
Night 10 - Limit Lake
Night 11 - Lower Pilgrim River
Night 12 - Yorston River
Night 13 - Talking Falls
Night 14 - Pine Lake
Day 15 - Put-Out, Twinkle Lake}

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on March 2, 2010)

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1154

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Ishpatina map along with part of Solace, and the uppermost portion of the Sturgeon canoe route, is posted as part of the Upper Sturgeon map series. Actually it is a map trilogy. Under the tabs are also maps for the overland route to the summit of Ishpatina and the new Gervais Road -- the Red Squirrel Road of the west side.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 3a.htm
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,

Thanks for the info, Ed. I've eagerly followed threads on this area (Portelance), but I don't know how ultimately this update could help me. I do not have a 4WD truck (only a AWD Outback) to cross the Sturgeon to Hamlow, especially at high water in May. Would you consider the hike from the Sturgeon to Hamlow (in order to reach Solace) worthwhile in terms of time-savings?

Paul

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on March 10, 2010)
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, my post above is intended for brian, not ed.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home