Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * 1st time temagami trip planning help < Previous Next >

Link to this message

cam

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 2, 2010 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any suggestions for a loop trip on small lakes/rivers for 4 nights 5 days. Going July ,2 intermediate trippers, like to travel approx 8-10 mi/day. Have MNR trip planners map but find it hard to read,ie. where some trips start. Considered Anima/nippising L.to Eagle L.Does this sound good or does someone have a better suggestion?
Can one park in Latchford and access from there?Also I have no impression of how busy these routes might be as far as planning where to camp for night. I am used to parks where they regulate how many parties `should` be on 1 lake. I appreciate this is crown land and can camp anywhere but would prefer not to be looking for a place in the bush late in pm.Is this often a problem?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 714

Posted on Tuesday, February 2, 2010 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cam:
You have a lot of questions.... not sure I can answer them all at once.
Most of the information you are looking for is somewhere on this site.
Also, you might want to look at Hap Wilson's canoe guide:
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Wilson/sneak.htm
which shows the access points.
Try your local library to see if they have a copy.
The book also describes many of the routes.

On this site go to http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_atlas. htm and click on Lake Temagami and then go back and click on Sandy Inlet.These 2 maps show access sites for Lake Temagami, which can lead you to other lakes.
Latchford may not be a good place to start from if you are new to the area.
Temagami is a mixture of both Crown Land and Parks. You will need a permit to camp in the Parks, but not on Crown Land if you are a Canadian Citizen.No campsite reservations are required in the Parks, first come first served , but that should not normally be a problem as there are lot's of sites on the popular routes.

So after you have done some more reading about the opportunities... come back and some of us will try to answer your questions.

Link to this message

cam

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 2, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you for the prompt reply ed
The map site you pointed out is helpful and I will certainly search this site and get haps book.
Keith
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 715

Posted on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cam:
For a short trip through Temagami you might consider starting from Sandy Inlet, accessed via the Red Squirrel Road (a logging road, still in use and maintained), then cross over to Lake Temagami via the Napoleon Portage and go into Diamond. Travel west on Diamond then go into Wakimika, Obabika and back to Lake Temagami and Sandy Inlet via Obabika Inlet and Devils Bay.

This route can be busy, but would give you an opportunity to get a glimpse of traditional Temagami. Part of the route is through the Parks while on Diamond, Wakimika and parts of Obabika. So you would need a permit for at least 1 night and maybe 2 nights.
The Eagle Lake area is also quite nice but the portages through there are pretty rough compared to what you may be used to doing.
The routes through there are shown on the Muskego Map here on Ottertooth:
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/muskego-south. htm
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Eds advice is bang on. The Eagle Lake area known as the Muskego is very nice and not usually busy, but the portages can be quite a shock to someone that is used to park tripping.

They tend to be quite rough, and often overgrown, but the most difficult part of travel in the area is generally finding them in the first place. A lot of them are marked only with a small piece of flagging tape, or even just old axe blazes. Once you get used to finding the blazes the tripping becomes easier.

Simon
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, February 3, 2010 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Big thumbs up for Ed's Sandy Inlet suggestion. Lots to do and see around Obabika.

If you need to rent canoes you can do so from Camp Wanipitei. Folks there are very nice and this lets you use their parking lot.

Temagami ports can be rough, but in my experience are relatively short compared to other areas I trip so it's a good trade-off imo. I'd rather a brutal 200m than an easy 1km.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home