Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Paddler(s) Wanted/ Backcountry 2010 Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 8, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello folks,

I'm currently organizing a trip to Temagami, and currently have three involved (ages 38, 44, and 54). We aim to travel Temagami's backcountry, including Solace, Yorston, Pilgrim Creek, Bluesucker, Florence, and so on. We're looking at early or late May.

Here's the route we're considering:

1. (fly to / or drive than paddle to) Florence Lake
2. Blue Sucker Lake
3. Pilgrim Lake
4. Maggie Lake
5. Bill Lake
6. Solace Lake
7. South on Solace / Pilgrim Creek to Sturgeon
8. West to Pilgrim Creek
9. Yorston Lake
10. Linger Lake
11. Pinetorch Lake
12. Upper Nasmith Creek
13. Dorothy Lake, Hortense Lake, and remaining Nasmith to Wakimika Link
14. Wakimika.
15. Obabika
15. Chee-skon (if there’s time)
16. South to Obabika Inlet (boat shuttle pick-up / or car)

Please contact me if you have questions or your interested (paulhoy@gmail.com)

Thanks,
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 722

Posted on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Paul:
If I read your new route correctly, you are going down Pilgrim Creek.You may want to check this out more thoroughly. I don`t think anyone has been down there in many years, so I would expect it to be full of tree falls. You may want to ask Ontario Parks in Finlayson if that route got cleared out in 2008 when the Crown Land maintenance program was operating.
Just a suggestion.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ed,

I've been in communication with another member about the creek, so that's been helpful.

I will call Ontario Parks in Finlayson today, and I'll update this thread.

Thanks again, Ed, for your help.

Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 223

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Let's just pose the question to the community at large:

Who has canoed Pilgrim Creek ?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 198

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hap and Ted Krofchak did it in early 2000's
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 1:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doublebend canoed Pilgrim Creek in 2003...

FYI, Ontario Parks is calling me back tomorrow with information about the Crown Land maintenance program...
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello folks,

I've received an update on my trip plan from Ontario Park's representative, Kevin Pinkerton. He addresses the viability of the Solace/Pilgrim Creek specifically.

He states the following:

"This information is based on trip reports from Crown Land Crews and Ontario Parks Back Country Crews who file with his office.

The Pilgrim Creek Route, Yorston River route, Solace, including even further north to Scarecrow have received clearing attention in 2008 and 2009. So barring any significant wind events, those routes were open then and now.There's nothing here in the documents as to suggest there are concerns with your travels."

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 724

Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The report is posted here:
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/in-the- news/general-news/72-mnr-back-country-maintenance- program-2009
But I don't see any mention of Pilgrim Creek getting cleared out.
Perhaps the report that has been released to the public isn't written as specifically as it needs to be to indicate exactly what has been achieved in the Pilgrim Creek Area.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 199

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've got an email in to someone who may know more.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly - can you elaborate/share?
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Top secret. His post will self destruct in...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 727

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nothing top secret about this..... we just need further confirmation as some of us were not aware as to what routes were cleared in 2008.There are others who plan to travel on Pilgrim Creek in 2010... so let's take the time to get it right.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 201

Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

From the 2008 and 2009 MNR backcountry maintenance foreman:

We maintained everything through Solace Park last summer (2009). The crew then maintained the Yorston River down to the Sturgeon.

Pilgrim Creek itself is not part of the officially recognized canoe routes that MNR maintains, and has therefore not been high on our priority list. However, in 2008 we did a lot of work to clear and identify the portages at the Sturgeon end of Pilgrim Creek (primarily as it joins to the Yorston Lake route...it was a dangerous mess).

As we bring the primary canoe routes up to standard, I anticipate in the future having crews maintain these secondary routes.

If you or your friend get the opportunity to travel the Pilgrim, please let me know your thoughts so we can plan for future work.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, curly - I'm doing PIlgrim this Spring, so I will let produce a TR afterwards. That said, it's a little disconcerting that Sturgeon/Pilgrim was a dangerous mess. I'm wondering if this might suggest the rest of Pilgrim is in similar shape. Guess I'll find out...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 729

Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

yellowcanoe: The problem with the crossover route between the Sturgeon and Yorston was mostly due to a confused mess of old logging roads, ATV trails and portages that have developed over the years.
Brian may have further comments, since he was the person who asked OP to try to fix the problem up.
People were getting lost while trying to travel across there.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1147

Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yellowcanoe, do not relate the Parks comment on the Pilgrim-Sturgeon mess to the entire Pilgrim Creek route. They are, in fact, separate routes. The mess referred to the Pilgrim-Yorston Crossover through Witch's Lake, and not the portages on the creek. Both routes simply meet at the Pilgrim Triangle. Have you looked at this map?

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 1.htm

It details the crossover. An MNR crew did go in and do some cleanup. I recommend you take a copy of the map if you do the crossover. We would appreciate a report when you get back.

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 1:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello folks,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. As I mentioned earlier, I will be doing Solace/Pilgrim, so I will provide a report when I return (Brian, yes, I have reviewed the map you pointed me to, which cleared the issue up for me ... thanks!... and every other map I could get my hands on).

I have revised my plans somewhat, and have decided upon the following. The trip has increased from 14 to 17 days, and will take place mid-May. I've confirmed with Lakeland that they fly in and out of my selected lakes. There will be two paddlers and a dog. I think food will be my greatest challenge.

As always, I welcome your feedback...

Day 1: Fly-In to Bluesucker
- Cache food on Bluesucker
Night 1: Maggie
Night 2: Solace
Night 3: Solace/Pilgrim Creek Junction (East of Bugle Lake)
Night 4: Pilgrim Creek/Plieades or Limit Lake
Night 5: Hacker Lake
Night 6: Seagram Lake
Night 7: Talking Falls
Night 8: CS between Bluesucker and Florence
- Pick up cached food on Bluesucker
Night 9: Florence
Night 10: Ames Lake
Night 11: Lake #7 or Beaver Lake, north of Upper Pinetorch
Night 12: Lake #14
Night 13: Dorothy Lake
Night 14: Hortense Lake
Night 15: Wakimika Lake
Night 16 Shish-Kong
Day 17: Fly-out from Obabika

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Folks,

I know I've been monopolizing the boards lately, but I'd like to get people's feedback on strategies for shortening the trip. I've already reduced the trip by a day since I posted the updated trip details (based on 6 to 12 KM a day ... ), depending on portage difficulty). I'm torn between the following:

1. Flying in to Florence and then paddling down Ames or to Bluesucker.
2. Skipping Florence, and taking Hap's "Yorston to Pinetorch link" from Ames across to Bluesucker.
3. Starting at Bluesucker and eventually ascending Yorston, then turning east over the "Yorston to Pinetorch link" OR ascending from Bluesucker to Florence and then down Ames to Misabi.

I'm drawn to the "Yorston to Pinetorch Link" as Hap seems to describe it as the "Stein Valley of Temagami." I'm drawn to Ames for the same reason. I'm trying to choose based on scenery = effort = most efficient route.

Thanks,
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I neglected to add #4:

4. From Yorston, take Linger, Twinkle, to Pinetorch instead of the Yorston to Pinetorch link.

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on February 25, 2010)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 732

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I posted my comments in the other thread, before I saw this.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tbanks, Ed. I'm considering your comments. Now I'm just deciding whether Florence-Ames Lake is worth it : )... oh, the pain of it all ... : )
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 736

Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yellowcanoe: There is no pain in canoeing except what is in your head.
You need to love portaging and not worry about what Bill Mason said or may have said.

Personally, I love portaging and do a couple of hundred of them every year.For me it is the essence of canoeing.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would agree that the essence of canoeing is felt during a portage. it is also a wonderful thing when one can think of other things or hum a tune to oneself while hoisting a pack and a canoe and not "see" the portage as the enemy or the challenge.
Having said all that, I am pretty sure the canoes were meant to float a good part of the time.
Although extensive and longish portaging will extend the life of your canoe, the zen of the long duration paddle is special in its own way.
It is the whole enchilada, as we all well know.
More to the point, Florence Lake is the quintessential Temagami experience. I am not even really sure why. Partly due to the difficulty in getting there, which speaks against flying in, I guess.
There is something in the air up there, the mist coming off the lake in the morning, the big boulders of the campsites.
Even the little hunt camp/cabin, obviously haunted, is unique to that lake.
Paul, do not eliminate Florence from your route, you would me missing the jewel in the crown.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 737

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well fireman, in my attempts to extend the life of my canoe, it has unfortunately come into contact with many rocks, hidden under the water of course, until Mishipizhiw sees me coming and either raises the rocks or decides to lower the water level.
After many tip-overs, I sometimes think that I should be portaging more.
I have not encountered these types of rocks here in the Temagami area, so canoers here should be safe,........ so far as I know.

My first trip into Florence was by plane which spiraled down to the dead calm lake on a hot, sweltering August day. You could see down into the lake depths as we descended and I thought this was a remarkably clean and clear lake. Years later, I realized it was clear, mostly thanks to Inco.
We had no good maps that pointed out the best campsites, so we ended up on a small and mostly bare island near the north end of the lake. It was about 95F, so we spent most of the afternoon sitting in the lake trying to stay cool.
We only stayed on Florence for 1 night, because we were young and invincible and we could canoe for hours, so the trips were long and arduous. Arduous to the point, where now I don't remember much about many of them.
We could have stayed on Florence for several days and not seen another soul, but we were driven to get going and left early the next morning, without seeing much at all.
What I do remember about that first trip to Florence, occurred the next day somewhere on the Lady Evelyn River, at a nice campsite on a portage. It was about 4 PM, far too early to stop and camp, but, the heat from the previous day had spawned some serious thunderstorm activity, so we decided to get off the river and set up camp early. We had our tent up in a few minutes and then the storm hit with a vengeance. For some reason we decided not to vacate to the tent, thinking we could get cooled off a bit if we got wet. Well we got soaked and then the hailstones hit. They were literally the size of golf balls and we sought protection behind the biggest tree trunks we could find. The temperature dropped from the high 90’s F to near freezing in a matter of a few minutes as the ground became covered with these ice balls. When it passed the Sun came out again and we got a fire going to dry out our boots and clothes.

The only nice thing ….we were able to have ice cold drinks for “happy hour “.

It has taken years for me to realize that the real essence of canoeing is when you “stop and smell the roses”. After 50 + years of tripping, I am slowly learning to do that. Maybe, when I can no longer portage my canoe, I will truly be able to smell the roses.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nicely put. I met an outfitter from UpState New York at Centre Falls a few years back, you have probably met him in your travels as he outfits in Temagami mostly.
Besides impressing the hell out of me with his knowledge and skill level (who am I to judge, anyway) he spoke of a similar temperature inversion one late June day where they were northbound on SuckerGut and made a hasty camp up at the Narrows when the hail started, then switched to snow and by morning, 10 inches of fresh snow, -5 C and the following day, normal seasonal temperatures.
Those are the stories that worry me when we discuss bringing inexperienced high school students into Temagami in Spring or late Fall.
I was snowshoeing out of Algonquin last week after a short winter camping trip, my daughter and others were well ahead and I was pretty sure they were impatient that my friend and I were dawdling....
Normally, I would start to hurry, worrying about my delay...then I realized I was with one of my closest friends in the world, he had never been to Algonquin in his life, the sun was shining, the forest was as beautiful as one could hope and getting back was not really such a life or death issue that two hours one way or another would make any difference.
We are so committed to "getting stuff done" all the time, we (or atleast, I) forget the value of not rushing. It seems obvious, writing it, but at the time it really struck me. When we arrived in the parking lot to irritated friends and child, I simply shrugged and said, "It's a beautiful day...what's the problem?" Which was accepted as sage and wise (fooled them again).
Temagami Time is different from work time, that is for sure.
I am pleased to read of the popularity of official cocktail hour being observed by most travellers. It makes me feel less conspicous when I am begrugding an extra ground sheet but packing up Caesar fixins' for Happy Hour. Cheers.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman, all,

Fireman, you asked in my other thread, what my new route is shaping up to be, well, it's another week, another route, mostly as a result changing circumstances. First, three others have committed to the trip for a total of five paddlers (we're looking for one more). Second, the other party is reluctant to fly-in, so we're driving. Days range from 6 to 12 KM. So, here it is:

Day 1 - Put-In, Twinkle (Drive and walk to...)
Night 1 - Pinetorch
Night 2 - Chapin
Night 3 - Hortense
Night 4 - Wakimka
Night 5 - Shish-Kong
Night 6 - LE Lake
Night 7 - Frank Falls
Night 8 - Shangra-La
Night 9 - LE River (is there a shortcut from LE to Florence? Need to consult topo)
Night 10 - Florence
Night 11 - Pilgrim
Night 12 - Solace Creek
Night 13 - Limit Lake on Pilgrim Creek
Night 14 - (Lower) Pilgrim Creek
Night 15 - Upper Goose Falls
Day 16 - Put-Out, Goulard Road

Thanks all

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home