Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Random question... < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 26, 2010ed25 02-26-10  4:49 pm
Archive through March 11, 2010yellowcanoe25 03-11-10  4:24 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 765

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not if it is mushy.You might find you are running along on your belly with all 4 wheels spinning.

You are asking impossible questions, Yellowcanoe. The road conditions will be whatever they are and if you go there, you will have to deal with them as they are presented to you.
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Ed,
Not sure who's Pinetorch Creek photo but would this be enroute to the 200 metre portage or after. Looks nice!!
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/in-the- news/photography

Looking at Yorston Lake for a layover day. Looks like a nice lake to paddle and explore.

The primative potages between Linger and Pintorch are what, follow the old axe blaze or are they now marked? Just not well used and defined right?

Thanks for the other info Ed.

Mike
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 766

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 2:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know who took that either, but it looks as if it might be the 325m port north of that one.

As I recall there are old axe blazes, but some of the blazed trees were down. Some places have tape to compensate.
I think the one that might be difficult to follow is the 900m port that takes off from the road and goes north. The others were easy to follow and of course are along the creek or close to it..
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wonder if Chris's videos of "into the Pinetorch & ll" are of the 900m port you mentioned. Maybe Al or Chris could pipe in on this one.
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/uploads -from-the-field

Looking at the Nastawgan map, it shows a Nastawgan route from Akick to Blue sucker, has anyone looked at that as a way to bypass Mudchannel Lake??

We're looking at going up at the end of July for a week. I guess it's easier to search for the old blaze route in the spring. Am I correct on that?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK, I just realized lost_canoe and yellowcanoe are two different people. So, yellowcanoe, is this still the planning for your spring trip?
if so, if you can drive to Tinkle, i think you can be in Florence on your second night. My sense is travelling northwest towards Pinetorch is more trouble than it is worth. once on Florence, well, your options are varied, obviously.
I have gone up all of MudChannel three times and never had a problem with it. always in the fall, as well. for what it is worth.I too need to plan the ultimate 12 day canoe trip in temagami and I am totally flummoxed with my route. My sense is...it does not really matter. Get out there for twelve days, worry less about hitting the money spots....
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 771

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman wrote:
My sense is...it does not really matter. Get out there for twelve days, worry less about hitting the money spots....

Good advice for yellowcanoe and any others looking for the perfect adventure.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 217

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'll do that when I'm an old fart like Ed. In the meantime, there's lost canoe routes to find.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1157

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Finding the lost canoe routes and the stories the land tells is about hitting the money.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The picture Lost Canoe refers to is along the stretch below Dead Beaver Falls. I didn't take the picture but recognize the spot. I have a shot from the same place but in different light. It's taken from a log that bridges the creek a little below the falls.

The portage in the videos (from the road to Pinetorch Creek) bypasses all this. You should make a point to bushwhack in to view the falls. Probably easier from the top end.

Fireman, Ed & Brian, ...amen.

DoubleBend
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

DoubleBend,

Thanks for the info. Which part of Pinetorch Creek is Dead Beaver Falls on, the 900m?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I admire the zeal for searching out lost canoe routes. I bumped into Craig MacDonald this winter several times and he exudes the spirit that you guys embrace.
For me, I so regularly get lost out there, in spite of my map, well, every trip is a bit of a lost canoe route. I am sure I have trod where no man has ever gone before....and been within a few metres of the portage trail.
I explored up around Matatchewan where no portages were marked on my map and felt the thrill of finding old trails, obviously portages.

At times, all this planning of trips seems to me a little bit counter-intuitive to what I am seeking out there. I wish I could just go and ramble around Temagami and pick my route as I go.
But the Judeo-Christian Westerner in me loves the planning, the calculating, not to overlook the purchasing of sexy, colorful camping gear and everything else involved in canoe tripping to give it up.

Hard to imagine a couple of ancient Native paddlers concerned about making it back in time to file their taxes, schedule their next acupuncture appointment or march in the St. Patrick's Day Parade (yesterday's Fire Department Debauchery). I need a bit more of their head space, speaking only personally.

Back on the Beaver this weekend for a group regatta. cheers to you all.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1159

Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dead Beaver Falls, doublebend? The mapmaker wants to know where it is.
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 102

Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That pic: not sure... I think it might have been along that 325 actually.

Dead Beaver Falls: in speaking with Doublebend, this is where I placed it:
http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/uploads -from-the-field

The trails are rough and not well marked.
This is some pretty gnarly country in places!
There is a hidden trail from little island, above the pool at the road but we left it hidden...

Chris

(Message edited by chris on March 15, 2010)
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 219

Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, you missed the guest speaker's presentation at the FOT's 2009 AGM, dead beaver and all!
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey BOB,

When Doublebend mentioned Dead Beaver Falls, I was thinking about that dead beaver in the presentation at the FOT AGM and wondered if that's how the falls got its name!

Thanks Chris for your map of the area, great info. just curious about the two triangles at the parking and the heritage, is there any spots to pitch a few tents if we have a late arrival at the parking area? What's the one at the heritage mean? Useable?
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 103

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is room at the parking area, but you are quite far from the water. We also camped down by Twinkle on the ATV road - limited flat, dry room at the time.

There is not much room at the narrows site, but I actually did not spend much time poking around there, so I cannot adequately comment on its useablity. It did seem rather limited - I put a picture on it here somewhere...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 775

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lost_canoe:
There is usually room in the parking area, but it can get surprisingly busy sometimes. I was in there mid September, the area was empty, I set up my tent for night 1. I then went off exploring the following day and came back late in the afternoon to find a total of 5 trucks and trailers jammed into the area.The weather was fanastic, it was bird season and Inco was on strike. A whole bunch of hunters and ATVers had arrived... but I never saw any of them in the immediate area. They had dispersed. When I got back several days later, the parking lot was empty again. Suggest you set your tent up to the side and park off to the side.
I don't think you will find that much activity in the Summer, but when fishing starts or the hunt is on, it looks as if it can get busy.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home