Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Route Feasibility Reality Check < Previous Next >

Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My big trip this year is a tandem with my oldest friend. Great guy, but not a strong paddler and not a strong camper. He likes to stay up late & sleep in, his usual sleep patters start with a 6AM bedtime.

4 hours travel/day would be our average. When there's more folks in the mix we can pressure him to get up and get moving earlier. Not worth it to generate frustration when there's just the two of us.

Starting at Wanipitei I plan to go up Chini & down Sturgeon. With 4hours/day travel and a rest day every 3rd day, is this possible in 12 days?

Depends where we cross over? Stouffer or Parsons is the current plan. I'd like to experience the transition from the top half of the river to the meandering bottom half.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1166

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am uncertain about the section of your trip on Wanapitei. I presume you mean the lake. Are you crossing the lake? Beginning and end?
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Preacher,

You must mean starting at the Matagamasi access point??
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini6.htm
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 780

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Preacher:
Where are you planning to get off the Sturgeon?
Kelly Lake I presume?
I am guessing that you will be hard pressed to do it using 4 hours/day of travel time.
I think you need some 8 hour days in there, particularly on the Upper Sturgeon to move through all the portages around rapids that cannnot be run if you go up to Stauffer to cross over. Maybe you can do it if you crossover at Parsons and go into the pool at Pilgrim Creek
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The plan, such as it is...

Drive up & spend a night at Lakeland. Well anywhere with a bed and parking lot would be just fine by us.
Start on Sturgeon from either Stouffer or Parsons
Off Sturgeon through Kelly, the lakes not the portage.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 783

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Let me take a stab at it:
Drive to Wanapitei and stay O/N
1. Wolf Lake
2. Chiniguchi Lake
3. Dougherty Lake (one of the nicest lakes in the area)
4. Upper Sturgeon maybe around unamed lake north of the Gorge with 2 campsites on it.(~6 hours?)
5. Pilgrim Creek Drop Basin - long portage day (~8hrs or maybe longer)
6. Lower Goose Falls (~4+hrs)
7. Kelly Lake Area (~5hrs)
8. Maskinonge Lake
9. McCarthy Bay/Matagamasi area. May have wind issues here.
10. Back to Lakeland and out.

OK...Potentially a couple of "off days" or days to use to reduce the hours needed on the Upper Sturgeon.
My trips through there have been all solo with multiple (3-4) carries. The times are reduced a bit for 2 people.

You could also use the Sportsmans lodge for your O/N stay and get him to shuttle you to Matagamasi put in.This would save a bit of time.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Many thanks!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 236

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

or kick your Pal in the rear end and tell him to put his boots on!
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've kicked him in the keester on many trips, but never on a trip with just two of us. Not worth the bad vibes without another person to mediate.

This is a route I really want to do and I don't want to waste my two weeks on a route I could solo in one.

I'll put it to him to decide if he's willing to commit to at least 6 hours travel on travel days. That means on the water by 10 am. Ideally I like to have a camp day every 3rd or 4th day. He can sleep all he wants on those days.

1 Saturday June 26, 2010 Drive up & stay O/N
2 Sunday June 27, 2010 Wolf Lake
3 Monday June 28, 2010 Chiniguchi Lake
4 Tuesday June 29, 2010 Dougherty Lake (one of the nicest lakes in the area)
5 Wednesday June 30, 2010 Rest
6 Thursday July 1, 2010 Upper Sturgeon maybe around unamed lake north of the Gorge with 2 campsites on it.(~6 hours?)
7 Friday July 2, 2010 Pilgrim Creek Drop Basin - long portage day (~8hrs or maybe longer)
8 Saturday July 3, 2010 Lower Goose Falls (~4+hrs)
9 Sunday July 4, 2010 Rest
10 Monday July 5, 2010 Kelly Lake Area (~5hrs)
11 Tuesday July 6, 2010 Maskinonge Lake
12 Wednesday July 7, 2010 McCarthy Bay/Matagamasi area. May have wind issues here.
13 Thursday July 8, 2010 Rest
14 Friday July 9, 2010 Back to Lakeland and out.
15 Saturday July 10, 2010 Home

There's also the option of driving up to North Bay Friday night and skipping the Saturday O/N stay at Lakeland or wherever.

(Message edited by Preacher on March 30, 2010)
 Link to this message

northernboy27

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 8, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Reminds me of my usual canoe buddy, often had to start taking down the tent with him in it in order to get him going in the morning. Although this has resulted in a few arguements, usually about five days into a trip.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, April 8, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah that's the guy. Great friend, great guy. It's tough for someone who's usual habits are in bed at 6am and up at 4pm to swing his schedule around.

On one trip we had a car jockey action. Three of us did the jockey and three got some sleep. He was one of the sleepers. After 24 hours of being up and driving three of us had no patience for his shenanigans.

A peaceful trip that isn't the ideal route for me is better than a stressful trip in shangrila. Going to talk to him this weekend, find out what his commitment is. Maybe we fly in to Florence & hang out a few days before paddling out to Temagami.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home