Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Florence Lake Loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

earle

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thinking of doing the Florence Lake Loop out of Hap Wilson's book (Route #2).
Is it a frequently used route?
We have concerns about finding the portages and the conditions of them.
Also ... thinking of doing the route clockwise (Obabika, Yorston, Florence, etc.) and wondering how pushy the upstream and downstream travel is?
We are doing the trip early July.
Any info greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1167

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The entire route, except the Yorston River below Seagram Lake, is well used and the portages are in great shape. As for the Yorston River below Seagram, it is not nearly as well used. Someone else will have to give you an answer on the portage conditions there.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 235

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Portages on the Lower Yorston River are less prominent as paddlers would use this route heading downstream and would run, line or pole the shallow swifts and gravel bars. There are a few places where larger rapids and fall would necessitate a portage, but I did not see them, these along with log jams would require a hap-hazard shoreline portage.
 Link to this message

earle

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 3, 2010 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info.
So you're saying that most people do this route counter-clockwise (come down the Yorston River)?
Do you think it will be a problem going upstream from the Sturgeon River to Linger Lake?
I guess our concern is how pushy is the river.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, April 3, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm guessing water levels are going to be very low, which may mean less current but some tough slogging through shallows. Last September the streams were still relatively low and it was a good year for rain. Personally, my Temagami trip plans are going to stay on the lakes and the larger rivers and creeks.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home