Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Does earlier break up mean earlier trip? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jimn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 4, 2010 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been planning a trip to Temagami May 15-22 to beat the black flies, but with the hot winter and early break up I might move it up two weeks to May 1-8. I have another commitment the 10th and 11th so moving it up one week isn't an option. What do you think?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 794

Posted on Sunday, April 4, 2010 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If this weather keeps up, moving your trip to May 1-8 will not be a problem.
Over the past several years ,I have been out on the water by May 1st. Last year was a bit later, May 4th or 5th if I remember correctly, due to the ice taking a few extra days to get moving along.It is a nice time of the year. This year is a lot different. Not sure if it will get cold again for a while or just stay hot. If you do go out early, make sure you prepare for some more cold weather, with extra cloths etc. It could still happen even in early May.
One year in May I experienced temperatures in the high 20's for 4-5 days in a row, then it got colder and eventually dropped to -10C for a couple of days before warming up again.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, April 5, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami is typically ice free a week or two after APP? Canoe Lake has just been reported as ice free. Blowing away the previous record of April 14 set back in 1953.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 796

Posted on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was beside Kukagami Lake on Monday. It was reported as being ice free as of last Saturday, April 3rd.
 Link to this message

mehingan

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

as of today no ice on obabika lake
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, April 8, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think anyone knows what to expect this year. The best suggestion for any spring trips this year is to prepare for anything from -10 to +20 with lots of bugs.

We were in Temagami last year from Mya 15-22 and had cool weather, no bugs. We had snow on 2 mornings until around 11AM. 1 of those mornings was a frigid low of -6C.

Judging from the reports available here on Ottertooth, it looks like Temagami Ice Out may happen this weekend. To put it in perspective I put the historic dates on a chart (engineer in me). If ice out is declared this weekend, it will be almost 3 weeks earlier than usual!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home