Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 30, 2010 * Talking Falls/Yorston Pinetorch link area for May < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, April 9, 2010 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So....now that Pilgrim's out of the picture, anyone have a best guess for the Talking Falls/Yorston Pinetorch link area in terms of being canoeable/trackable? I still like Fireman's suggestion of coming up through here via Sturgeon, Yorston Lake, and Seagram...

btw, I ask the same question in another thread ... please disregard
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 804

Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think you will have to wait until the last minute, Yellowcanoe, to decide where to go.

I have been on the Sturgeon on 3 spring trips and have never seen the water as low as in the pictures posted by canoedog.

I would watch the rain fall up there over the next 2-3 weeks to see if there is any dramatic change in water levels in the area.

If the levels remain real low and you are concerned,you can always do a lake trip instead of a river trip.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ed - looks like water levels aren't improving. At this point, I'm not sure what would be worse: ascending Ames Creek to Florence or moving west from Pinetorch through to Yorston River and then Bluesucker.

Thoughts? Guesses? Speculations? Wild conjectures?

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on May 4, 2010)
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 145

Posted on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd go up Ames Creek, going west through Mudchannel maybe a bit of slog if water levels are as low as you say
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 245

Posted on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yellow Canoe,

Ed has sent news from the Pinetorch Conservation Reserve that water levels are 6' below last years observed levels of Mid May. He did not say that the low water this week was a hinderance to his progress. He also reported that Blackflies are in business.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 49

Posted on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm asking the wrong question. It should be which route has fewer blackflies, Ames Creek or Pinetorch? :-)

Thanks for the info everyone.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1186

Posted on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mother Nature's press secretary says "No comment."

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home