Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Lower Temagami River - Conditions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 44

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So excited, up this weekend with my girlfriend and will be kayaking the lower Temagami River. I know the water will be very low down there and it will be bony...anyone been there yet this year? Interested in your thoughts

Will post trip report on conditions. Looking forward to catching some whitefish too. Never realized pike fishing was closed this time of year as it used to be open all year. That must be a new change.

Thanks
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 241

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The water will be cold as are the evenings, keep warm and enjoy.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looking forward to your TR on conditions. Have fun.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great time on the river. Water is extremely low and many portages are required that normally are not. Here is a picture on Thistle Lake. These rocks, known to as Pink Rock are usually all under water except for the larger ones. The smallers ones sometimes have a bit showing thru the water. I have only seen the water this low 3-4 times in my 43 years up at the cottage.

My girlfriend and I could actually walk across the waterflow at the big dam below the Red Cedar. Unheard of. This will affect fishing dramatically on our lake this year as normal fish spawning areas are unusuable.

Cheers
Bigwolf
 Link to this message

boat129

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

How often does the dam release?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1194

Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dam flow is determined by complex interactions of policies, politics (OPG, conservation authority), bureaucracy and Mother Nature.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 49

Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 8:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Response I got from OPG on the Red Cedar Lake Dam.

Francois

Your interpretation is correct. Red Cedar is at 0 flow in an attempt to increase the lake elevation. Island is being fed by leakage at the dam. From the readings you can determine that the elevation on both lakes are increasing week over week but a little rain would help increase the rate of rise. Lake Temagami flow is determined by a flow gauge which is measuring leakage of 1.6 cms.

Hope this helps

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home