Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Beauty Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 4:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a trip around Smoothwater Lake and Ishpatina Ridge.

I'm hoping start with Beauty Lake to Kaa Lake, and across through Waburn and Sunnywater, towards Smoothwater. However, I've read that the Lady Evelyn River might not be Navigable from Beauty Lake to Kaa at the end of June.

Does this mean it is impassible muck, or simply might need more liftovers?

My route then includes a trip to Ishpatina and back up the Montreal River to Beauty Lake Road.

Also, I would appreciate any input as to the viability of this route for a 6 day trip at the end of June, or any changes you might recommend.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 808

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

typhoonit:
The future water levels at the end of June are a bit unpredictable this year. The snow melt was very low this Spring and there has been little rain in the area.In previous years the water levels would have been adequate for your trip.
People will soon be tripping and we should begin to get some good quality feedback on water levels over the next 4-6 weeks.So stay tuned.

The trip you are proposing seems to be a bit long for 6 days. 7 days would be better, unless you are prepared to put in some long hours.
 Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed, this is what I was concerned about. I appreciate your insight.

We are looking forward to putting in a few long days.

Is the major concern about water levels on this trip related primarily to the Upper Lady Evelyn between Beauty Lake and Kaa Lake?

As a backup route if the water levels are low, would it be possible to put in closer to Kaa Lake and avoid some of the Upper Lady Evelyn?

To facilitate this, if required we could bring a bicycle to return the car to the nearest reasonable parking area. This would also cut one day travel off the trip.

What do you think of this backup plan?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 809

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 7:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

typoonit:
I am concerned about water levels throughout Temagami, not that we can do anything about them.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/newsbriefs.htm

This picture taken by Brian Back on April 16th at Twin Falls on the Sturgeon tells a lot.For this time of year, the Falls should be a raging torrent. Brian says it looks more like the water levels experienced in June 2008 after considerable rain in the spring. So unless we have significant rain as spring progresses, levels will drop. Brian also says, water levels for Temagami are not set in granite just yet either.
I haven't travelled from Beauty Lake south to Kaa, so I don't know if that will be a problem this year. I have travelled upstream fom Gamble to Kaa, in the spring and that was doable. Also from Kaa through Barr, Wabun, Sunnywater etc.is usually OK.
The bike idea is a possibility and would save some trip time for you..

I would plan your trip, but keep an eye on the canoe forums to see what develops waterwise as we move into May and June.
Typhonit, to keep things in perspective, this is the first time, I can recall that we have ever considered low waters in the Temagami area in the spring.

Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed.
 Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just heard from Temagami Outfitters that a group last year were unable to navigate the portages from Kaa lake to Wabun Lake.

Has anyone had any recent experience with that route?
 Link to this message

pager

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are still planning this trip, you can drive to and put in at Kaa.
I was there this past weekend and the water is low.
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a cabin on Beauty Lake and have done Beauty to KAA. Last year the water was high.. there are quite a few lift overs (Beaver damns) but I kind of like the trip. Isolated.. From back beauty to Island is a portage about the size of a football field.. You can Drive to KAA but unfortunately you can drive almost anywhere back there now.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1185

Posted on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

What shape are the portages in between Beauty and Kaa?
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portages are rough but only one main portage and that is from Beauty back to Island Lake. You can also drop in at Island from the Beauty Lake Road. Otherwise, if the water is high enough you can follow creek the entire way to KAA with just some lift overs.
 Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 4:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So no word on the Kaa to Waburn then? I might just go in and out the Montreal river then and go a bit past Ishpatina. I'd rather get lost in the middle of the trip rather than the start. :-)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home