Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Kokoko bay < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi...really could use some information here...my vacation clock is ticking. We are planning a trip up to Kokoko Lake via the north Temagami arm and into Kokoko bay to access the portage. We are leaving May 28th. There are concerns about being able to navigate some tight spots into Kokoko bay...has anybody been up there yet...have you had any rain...or any change in the water levels for the better. We are planning a plan "b" in the event we can't get it. Oh..yeah..we are coming up by water taxi....

thanks,

Ron M.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm assuming you'll have a canoe to portage across into Kokoko Lake. If you can't get throught the narrows in the water taxi it's only a short paddle from there to the portage. There should be no issues accessing Kokoko Lake from the northern portage (the bay in behind Devil's mountain) via boat.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 238

Posted on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As Andrew points out and if you area already "cheating" with a water taxi.. get him to take you right up around Devil mountain. Just be sure he knows to watch for both shoals going in there. (one in front of the mtn and the other way back in the bay) That portage is shorter and well travelled as well.

(Message edited by irishfield on May 7, 2010)
 Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks for the help..but maybe I left out a few things...we are renting boats on the other side of the portage..that's why we are going in through kokoko bay. Also...there are 6 of us...too much gear for using a canoe...unless it's one of those big freighter canoes that the Cour' De bois used to move the beaver pelts...

My last time in there..years ago..I remember snaking through a small channel just before getting into the bay...had to pole our way through and tilt up the motor.

As for cheating...yes...okay...but we are a bunch of old guys...two of which who just survived heart attacks..the days of humping our boats are long over...

again..thanks for the input...Any rain lately..or in the forecast?
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 239

Posted on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

On a canoing site it's assumed you are portaging canoes! lol So I am presuming the boats you are renting are possibly Rick's? Either way.. if you are renting from him or another lodge, are they not making sure you can get to said boats?.. and if necessary maybe they'll move them over to the West bay of Kokoko so that you can get them there at the end of the portage in from the bay by Devil Mtn.

I sneak in there the easy way to fish... by air!

Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

my brother is taking care of the boats...don't know who the supplier is. Whoever it is..can't make water and can't promise there will be enough to get us there...that would be some promise.
by the way...gotta a plane that seats 7 ?

thanks...
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 240

Posted on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well if they are willing to rent them to you.. they'd better know that there's water to get you to them! As two of us have noted... if the water is too shallow in Kokoko Bay (which I highly suspect it is right now).. you can get there via the portage off the bay East of Devil Mountain.
 Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2010 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks irishfield for the input...I didn't know there was another portage in..can you direct me to this portage east of devil mountain. In previous years there we only walked through the cedar forest...(kokoko bay).

my regular email is ronkmarsh@msn.com if anybody does make it up that way in the next week or so. Your help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ron
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 241

Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2010 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Up the North Arm.. around Devil Island into Ferguson Bay.. tight across the face of Devil Mountain and keep going straight(east). Watch the long wide N/S shoal at the entrance. The bay splits in two.. stay to the left/upper/North portion. Follow it right into the end where it bends off to the right/south and you'll find the portage starts in the very end on the left side. It's about 150% of the distance of the Kokoko Bay portage, but if you can't get to the other one it's a back up... and also an extra route you should know in a case of an emergency as someone is generally always at Keewaydin Camp on Devil Island.
 Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi folks...coming up in another week...how high's the water mama ?
 Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, June 6, 2010 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

just back from an amazing week on Kokoko. Fishing was great and so was the weather. Fire ban meant no stinky clothes to come out with. I'd like to hang the jerks who leave their beer cans, broken glass, carpets (yes..carpets)and all the other garbage they take in...but for some reason can't take out. We filled a bag alone of just other people's trash and brought it out. Hate those kind of "outdoorsmen".

cheers,

Ron
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 146

Posted on Sunday, June 6, 2010 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ron
Good to hear it's not just canoeists that clean up campsites. Can't believe some of the trash people leave behind!
Were you able to go in via Kokoko Bay, or did you go in behind Devil's Mountain?
We were in Obabika Inlet on the long weekend, great weather, no bugs, but the fishing was tough. Not a walleye to be had, although we did catch a few pike, which we released, and a few lakers for our fish fry!
The lake sure looks different with so many more rocks exposed. Hope the levels don't drop any more than where they are now! We were able to pole our way into Eye Lake as well, but just barely.
 Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, June 6, 2010 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We were able to go in via Kokoko Bay...had to get out and push up through the narrow area..but we were able to get right up to the portage entrance by the waterfall. Yes...NO BUGS....to speak of..didn't need that big can of Muskol after all. Walleye were landed...so were pike and lakers..no whitefish this time.

Cheers....
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 252

Posted on Sunday, June 6, 2010 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds like you had a great trip ronkmarsh... as for whitefish we've only found them in one spot on Kokoko in the winter. It's the only big mid depth flat, coming off an island, shown on the lake map .... hint..

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home