Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Wakimika to Florence < Previous Next >

Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just curious how many days it takes folks to get from Wakimika to Florence, through Pinetorch. Assuming double tripping and average length (9:00-4:00) days.

Thanks in advance!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1193

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you did Dorothy, Beaver, Ames and Florence, then it's 4.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 249

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

two long days.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 147

Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did it in 3 to Pinetorch with screwed up portages (flooding and blow-downs)and then it would take another one to Florence up Ames Creek

(Message edited by otter_mel on May 14, 2010)
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm eyeing up heading across the pinetorch corridor from Wakimika, cutting over to the yorston at pine lake instead of going to Florence, and heading down the yorston to the sturgeon. Any thoughts on if the Yorston will be worth travelling this spring? I've never travelled this river, and from what I've been reading it should be avoided in the summer. I'm leaving (for somewhere) next wednesday. This is my first choice, but as I'm short on time I dont want to get stuck dragging a canoe down a dry river.

Thanks again!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1195

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The upper Yorston River (above Seagram) is fine in low water. Can't say about the lower Yorston. However, even if the lower Yorston does turn out to be too low you can always take the Witch's portages to the Sturgeon.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 1.htm

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

going west, we camped at the top of the murderous 1,600 portage/climb and then on one of the unnamed lakes past PineTorch before Mudchannel. so two nights the third on florence.
The other way, we made it from Florence to Dorothy in two days. Going west, up through Ames to Florence, man, I was on Ames Creek last September in a high water year and it was a slog. Muck sucking at the canoes the whole time. the portages are not too long but rarely a walk in the woods. I would say depending on how low the water on Naismith is after Dorothy, you are looking at three days and you will be pulling into Florence pretty exhausted.
That uphill portage is a killer. We were carrying a royalex Dumoine, which was unwise but what can you do??
It is a very admirable route. Good luck.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the input folks...I'm off tomorrow morning on my first solo trip. I've got 6 days to make it across the pinetorch corridor to the sturgeon, down the sturgeon and back up through wawiagama. I should add I'm taking a boat up to, and back from Obabika inlet. No shame in turning back if it looks like I won't make it in that time after 3 days. Not looking forward to the that uphill 1600m trek, but certainly looking forward to some new scenery and the flexibility of solo tripping. I too carry an old Royalex.
Cheers,
Andrew
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

just checked my maps and it looks like I wont need to hit that 1600m as I wont be heading into Florence anymore. There is however another 1600m on the Witch's route, which I plan to take as per Bryan's suggestion. I should be a well oiled machine after all the walking the first few days...Talk about last minute trip planning...

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home