Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Obabika Put In < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I know it is mentioned here in several different places, but I still have no sense of exactly the current status of the put-in on the isthmus between Wawiagama and Obabika.
I was there is 2000 and it was good, then in 2006, it was terrible.
Also, how secure is it? I met two canoeists whose car was vandalized over the Fall Gathering Weekend.
I drive a 4X4 Tacoma, so I am good to go if the road is reasonably OK to drive.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1196

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Alex Mathias and family use the road to get to their home. And you have a Tacoma. You will make it. Drive carefully.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 98

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I regularly drive to this put-in with my Toyota Corolla.
Yes, the road is bad... but careful driving and a little common sense make it very do-able.

The road is in great shape right up to the last 'trailer campground' on the North shore of Emerald Lake. Beyond that point, it gets rough...
Take your time, and you'll be fine...

... and if you see a Corolla with a green Prospector on the racks, say hello.

Mike
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

appreciate the advice guys, thanks.
I'm hoping there is someone at Manitou Lake Lodge that can drive it back down to the lodge for me. i've parked there before and they are nice folk. I am trying to plan a comprehensive loop of the entire area, reaching Maple Mountain to the north, picking up Florence and parts of the Sturgeon and work my way back without a major shuttle. Won't bore you with the itinerary, but the water levels have made everyone reconsider routes this season, it seems.
If anyone knows the folks at the lodge on Manitou Lake (just above Brightwater, I think) and has a number, I would much appreciate it.
Just returned from the Magnetewan, healthy black bear chomping on a putrefied moose carcass and several deer, water levels about at August levels, cold but not deadly cold, very few bugs.
Great to be out, but slipped and smashed my head against a rock lining a portage and was reminded how dangerous the simplest little thing can be out there.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1197

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Speak to one of the Mike's at Manitou: (613) 454-5004.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 810

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman wrote:
"I met two canoeists whose car was vandalized over the Fall Gathering Weekend."

As far as I know this was an isolated incident.I also met them. They were not attending the Fall Gathering, but were travelling the Obabika River Loop. Rumour has it that they had some contact with a local pot dealer perhaps over a deal that had gone bad. Hence 2 separate vandalizations of the same car.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

that is quite interesting that you met them as well. It did sound a bit out of character for the area. someone would be going to a lot of trouble to mess with someone's stuff to do it up there.
It was raining and about 11:00 p.m. when they arrived lost, at Lower Goose Falls. They told us of their odyssey and we directed them back to civilization, as it were.
Good to know it was isolated, puts my mind at rest although I will probably have someone from Manitou Lodge drive my car back for me to shorten my loop.
I'm going from Obabika up through Bob Lake to Maple Mountain up the north channel to the South Lady Evelyn River into Florence then Blue Sucker out through Solace to Twin Falls and down probably to Stouffer and back down through Button, Laura and so on into Maskinonge and then over to the Sturgeon again and out at the lake that leads back to Manitou Lodge, the name escapes me now.
It sounds like a lot but I think it can be done in two weeks. Let me know if you think different.
The water levels are determining routing, for sure.
Won't be heading out until the second week of September so lots of time for the rain to come.
Hope all is well and the paddling is good.
We had dozens of boats for a holiday regatta on the Beaver River. Nothing more positive than a river full of friends in a variety of watercraft.
Cheers
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 281

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

fireman
The Changing of the Seasons Celebration is Sept 17 this year.
Its held at the north end of Obabika Lake
Stop in for a visit.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 812

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 2:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wawiakashi Lake off the Sturgeon let's you get out to Manitou.

When I passed by there a few years ago following the COS, I was the last person out and there was a car parked by the gate with 1 person sitting in it. I stopped to see if he was OK and he told me the story of coming back to their car and finding 2 tires slashed.They got them off and managed to get them out to Sturgeon Falls to have new ones mounted.On their return they found another tire slashed.One guy stayed with the car while one went back into town.This took a few days to accomplish, before they got rolling again. Not sure why they didn't use the spare to get them out of the second problem, but perhaps it was not useable.
While coming down the 805 in February a few years ago , I passed by some snowmobilers on the side of the road where they had parked their trucks and they complained to me that someone had let the air out of some of their truck tires. That was the only other time I have heard of vandalisim in the area.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 814

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman:
As usual your trip sounds a little ambitious. You will be be hauling some serious butt to get that done in 14 days.And the days are much shorter by then. But ... I know ...you guys are firemen, older experienced ones at that...
Where are you starting on Obabika? You could get Manitou to drop you off at the smaller South Basin near Obabika Lodge and start from there. You would almost drive to Obabika Lodge and just before that there is a cut line through the bush running East.You unload there , port the cut line until you come to a trail that goes down to the lake and put in there, avoiding all the private property in the area.
Ask Mike Savage if he knows where this is and if he will shuttle you there, as there is no place to park for any length of time.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, I am working on short cuts for the end of the trip, so I see your point. I am the only old fireman, the other person is green as they come but very fit and resolute.
I like the idea of the put-in you suggested, seems to save some driving and gets us on the water a bit earlier.
As to my route, there is the short cut hop across the small lake from the Lady Evelyn to the South Lady Evelyn and the other sections are fairly familiar to me. i am trying to anticipate low water issues and thus avoiding creeks. The sturgeon may involve some wading, but so what, late in the trip, who cares?
I am considering the back door route out of Kettle Falls as I have never been in there. We shall see.I am not looking forward to the first portage up through to Bob Lake and am a fan of Wakimika Lake, but it adds a lot of paddle distance. If only all our problems could be thus...
Anyway, early days. I do travel light and have to down to single carries for the most part. A lighter canoe is in the works and I may even sacrifice the Scotch if needs be. Worst case scenario, of course.
Cheers
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 816

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 8:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The port up from Obabika to Shish Kong is a huffer and puffer.I have done it a few times and now try to do it in the opposite direction.

The crossover route from LEL to Willow/Sucker Gut is good and saves the long paddle on LEL.

Going upstream on the LESouth Branch to Florence can be be a struggle in the Spring, especially going up solo , but may not be so bad in September.There is a small crossover through a pond there that lets you avoid a bit of the current if you need to use it.

You could try to engage Brian about the Backdoor route.

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 68

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Folks - Can someone please help me with directions to the Obabika put-in by Alex Mathias' home? Which road do I use?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home