Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Best Canoe Trip Survey < Previous Next >

Link to this message

seanmazur

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. I am new to Ottertooth.com but thought it would be a great place to get some advice on trips.

I have a friend coming from Iceland that wants an amazing Canadian canoe trip experience. We have 7 nights in late august......what would you recommend?? We are capable trippers, but not much white water experience.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Head for old growth. Either Blueberry or Obabika or Chiniguchi.
If you decide on Obabika try to get hold of Alex Mathias or Misabi Adventures and get a tour of the area.

Or climb Maple Mountain.
 Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 4:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been planning a 6 day trip, and as such I've probably considered a few routes that might be good for you. Are there specific areas or things you want to see?

Please keep in mind that I've not done this route, so a sanity check might be a good idea before embarking on the route.

I considered the following route, and based on preacher's comments, you might have time to do both Obabika and Maple Mountain:

If you don't start in the town of temagami, you can avoid some of the long open water paddles that could strand you on shore if the winds pick up and add days to the trip, or you can arrange a shuttle pickup.

You could probably see the following in 7 days...

1. Paddle as close to Maple Mountain as you can
2. Paddle the rest of the way and Climb the Mountain
3. Paddle to Diamond Lake
4-5. Paddle to Obabika Lake down Obabika River and up Wawiagama back to Obabika Lake
6. Paddle to Lake Temagami
7. (extra day)

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would put in at Ferguson Bay (Wanapatei) and paddle through Sharp Rock Inlet to Diamond and try to get up the north arm of Diamond and into the south end of Lady Evelyn Lake and camp. All paddling except for two portages (west side of Ferguson and Sharp Rock). Doable with an early start.
Day Two-paddle to Maple Mountain via the Willow Island Lake crossover and hike up and either camp up there (spring is at north end of summit) or come back down and camp (pushing it timewise) on Hobart Lake.
Day Three-North Channel Lady Evelyn River meaning Frank Falls, Centre Falls and Helen Falls and camp in Katharine Lake
Day Four-Drop down the south channel of the LadyEvelyn and camp near the bottom
Day Five-do the Death March back into Diamond Lake and paddle across to the Bob Lake Portage and camp on Bob Lake or the next one.
Day Six- down through the Old Growth and into Obabika, up Wakimika Creek into Lake Wakimika and camp there, maybe the island campsite.
Day Seven- up through the north end of Wakimika and back out via Sharp Rock Inlet.
It is an ambitious trip but there are no surprises. Portages are all regularly used, you have light until eight p.m. at least and perfect weather that time of year. Swimming is great.
It is the route I did with friends of mine from the Middle East. They had never been to Canada, let alone gone wilderness canoeing. it blew their minds.
It is all about the early start and you will have no problem and your friend will thank you forever. If you are behind schedule, after Bob Lake, camp on the beach on Obabika and return via Bob Lake and out. Saves you a full day of paddling and one night.
Camping on Maple Mountain is something everyone should do at least once in their life and it will take your friend's mind off of the economic situation in Iceland. BTW-no whitewater at all.
have fun, leave a note in the firetower on Maple Mountain for me, I'll be there in September with an Italian friend.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home