Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Obabika River status this summer < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bearfart

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello again. I have spent the winter changing my trip around a million times. I finally confirmed a trip on the Obabika river in late July/early August. But now that I'm reading about water level troubles...will this make my trip on the river a pain in the a**? Should I go back to the drawing board?

Thanks for the help....again.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 280

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bearfart

I paddled on the Obabika River on the weekend .
Levels are down about a foot.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you're talking about the upper part, I just paddled from the very top of the river down to the Wawiagama River. It was very navigable, with only one spot where I had to lift over a log jam. This is aside from the two marked portages. It appeared that someone (likely Parks) has cleared a number of big log jams in recent years. The water is low, but shouldnt be a problem.

The marked campsite on the portage at upper part near the chutes is actually suprisingly nice. I didnt stay, which made for a very long, winding day to get to Wawiagama.
 Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I love it when we get up-to-date first-hand information. Thanks, guys!

Let me add one plea: if the thought of dismantling beaver dams ever crosses your mind --- Don't! Those little guys are wonderful engineers that give you depth to paddle on little creeks. Breaking a dam at drought time is hard on the beavers: their safety from bears is at stake, and since so little water comes from upstream, the ponds will not refill quickly once the dam is repaired.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 811

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 1:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I suspect those were actually log jams on the Obabika River and not beaver dams.

Lot's of beaver dams do what Erhard is commenting about ... they hold back the water and make it easier to paddle on what would be a shallow, perhaps impassable, creek, but cause a problem getting over, more so for the upstream traveller..
 Link to this message

bearfart

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks guys. I had heard before that the Obabika river was really shallow....so this years lack or rain left me wondering a bit.

After the river we plan to take a two day break on Wawiagama lake before heading back. It looks really nice on google earth. Any good or bad about this lake? We plan to just chill, drink and fish for a couple of days. (No trace camping of coarse!)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 815

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The only problem you may have is getting up the Wawiagama River(creek). It will be very shallow in August unless there has been rain.
The trip up river there is about an hour and a little bit. If it is shallow just walk your canoe upstream and plan on it taking a bit longer.The mouth of the river doesn't look much bigger than a drainage ditch, but it has always worked for me over the years.
The nicest campsite on Wawiagama is on the south shore on a small point.Lot's of room under some tall trees. If you park near the gate you can move your vehicle into the old lumber camp , that is the road to your left as you approach the gate. Park there and when you return you can drive to the top of the road where the locals launch their boats.Don't go down to the lake in a car, but you can park at the top and portage your gear up the hill instead of using the regular portage that takes longer.
 Link to this message

bearfart

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 - 1:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I contacted Wanapitei to book our canoes this afternoon. Unfortunately I was told they are no longer in the canoe rental business. I forgot to ask if their access point (#5 on the Ministry Of Natural Resources map) off of Red Squirrel Road is still available to park and put in. Anyone know?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1204

Posted on Tuesday, June 1, 2010 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, it is.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning a trip during the 3rd week in July from Obabika Lake, down Obabika River then back thru Wawiagama Creek and Wawiagama Lake to return to Obabika Lake.
How canoeable will be Obabika River be at that time in regards to water levels, obstructions etc.? I understand we may have to line (walk) up Wawiagama Creek.
We would like to camp on Obabika River at the campsite beside the 2nd portage to split up the river portion of the trip.
During mid week in July, will it be hard to get campsites on Obabika Inlet and Obabika Lake ?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1211

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would be surprised if you had trouble getting campsites there. I wouldn't be concerned it was me travelling then.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home