Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Twin Falls to Manitou Lodge < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK, guys, with only three and a half months before my big trip, obviously I am obsessing early...
I have my route nailed down until I arrive at Twin Falls. From there I am thinking of doing the following and would love some input, approval, criticism or whatever from you venerable paddlers (read-social misfits).

camp at Twin Falls then down to Kettle Falls
Into Backdoor Lake Route and down to Frederick
Camp on Dougherty Lake (is this too much distance for one long day??)
Carry on to Button Lake and head for McConnell Bay and camp on the beach.
Portage in to the Laura Lake route that eventually comes out on Matagamasi Lake NE arm and head over to Maskinonge.
Camp on Karl Lake and then crossover via the series of lakes that takes you to the Sturgeon.
Down to the Wawiaskash River and up into Wawiaskash Lake, camp there and in the morning hike up the road to Manitou Lodge.
That is five nights, counting the first night at Twin Falls.
So, I have the time to throw an extra night in there if need be.
Brian, those maps of the Chiniguchi System are luxurious to work with. Could you possibly do all of Ontario before the 2012 canoeing season??}
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 817

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK Obsessive:
You come out of Solace at Ghoul Lake... what a name. Small C/S there where port is located behind it that takes you around Twin Falls.(1)
You could stay on the Sturgeon and save some time or do the Backdoor route.
Down to Frederick in one day ... good luck. Might be better to stay at Kettle Falls and then try for Dougherty the next day.Dougherty is the nicest lake in the chain (2) .Dougherty to McConnell Bay is probably OK in 1 day (3).
Laura Lake port... pray for a dry Summer as you contemplate that swamp. And watch the last log as you step onto dry land again... if you fall here you will be up to your neck in oozy stuff.You should be able to make Evelyn Lake easily, nice site there, but needs to see a chain saw run over it.....If you push on for a few more hours you might make Matagamasi where you can camp on the small island site where the port exits (4). You can go from here to the bottom of Maskinonge in 1 day and maybe even into Gawasi(5).Into Kelly and down the Sturgeon to that waterless ditch that goes into Wawiakashi (6) .You can camp there or proceed onto where the cottages are at the end of the lake and either port into Manitou past the Verner Fishing Camp and go north to the Lodge or walk the road to the Lodge and collect your vehicle.You could stay at Manitou and get a nice shower and if you plan forward... which I know you do ... you could enjoy your stash of beer or whatever when you get back to your vehicle.
I think you will need your extra day.

Your devoted Social Misfit.
Ed.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We were reminiscing about last year's trip and the spot where we were thigh deep in mud. And you have named the spot! We had blanked it from our collective memory. but doable, nonetheless.
Kettle Falls is too early to camp, somewhere along the BackDoor Route, I think.
I would be up for the long portage across to the Sturgeon at Kelly Lake if you folks think it is quicker. The other route is unremarkable to my memory. I remember camping at the top of Twin Falls on Ghoul, I guess. Hoping the fishing is still good there.
Yeah, long route. That island on Matagamasi is familiar. Stopped to camp then decided to carry on to the put in at the bottom of the lake. We'll see. Last year we went Karl Lake to McConnell Bay in one day, perfect conditions, lots of motivation. One never knows until one is out there how much you want to sweat and toil when you don't necessarily have to....A night at the lodge sounds like a very nice idea. Probably better accomodation than anything Sturgeon Falls has to offer.
The main thing is, once I get into Florence, I am committed no matter what. To exit out of Florence to the south is going to take me six days no matter which way I go. Back to Wakimika is two nights and then I still have to get out into Temagami and back through Gull Lake to Manitou. Down through Mudchannel is no quicker a route,either.
So you think staying on the Sturgeon would be quicker than the backdoor route. Even with low water levels? I seem to remember being in and out of the canoe endlessly on that stretch of river. OK, lots to think about, but, my heart is pure and I am on a mission from God, so....
What could possibly go wrong????
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 818

Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been out doing God's work all through May.
Lot's could go wrong ... and it does go wrong.

Manitou Lodge is OK for roughing it, but Sturgeon Falls has at least 1 new motel if you are looking for luxury.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yep, I know. I was being facetious. So far up there I have sliced open my foot to the muscle, been attacked by hornets, wrenched my back, gotten good and lost, got stuck on Grey Mud Lake (still have nightmares over that)run out of food, and just about murdered my brother for being an idiot. So, yes, things go wrong. And I like roughing it. it makes me feel like maybe I am still young and adventurous, even though I calculate my pension every couple of days or so.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 821

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I like your response Fireman.
I am still laughing.

Fireman wrote:
"The main thing is, once I get into Florence, I am committed no matter what. To exit out of Florence to the south is going to take me six days no matter which way I go. Back to Wakimika is two nights and then I still have to get out into Temagami and back through Gull Lake to Manitou."

If you had a sat phone with you you could get picked up from your start point.

On an emergency basis with no sat phone you could call from Obabika.

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I will save everyone the need to engage me over the use of electronic devices while canoeing.
I am ridiculously old-fasioned and believe that the ability to read a topo map should be a basic requirement for anyone trekking in the wilderness.
And I know of all the positive uses. I am not looking to be confrontational. A conversation best left un-initiated.
So, no sat phone, no cell phone, either. Not there,not here. I prefer "axe level technology"
Seems to succeed at work.
i was thinking parking at the put-in would be an option and come back via Wakimika....but do I really want to do that cross-over coming out of Florence? It is a rough go and low water would make Naismith Creek a tough go.
So....the other thing I thought of would be a pick up at Lower Goose Falls from the Folks at Manitou Lodge. does that sound feasible??
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 822

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah Lower Goose would also work.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 223

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, I thought God's work was throwing the trees down across the trail? You're just cleaning up after God.

(Message edited by curly on May 31, 2010)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home