Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Bald Eagle on Kokoko Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

we had just left shore for some fishing last week on Kokoko Lake..I just happened to be looking the right direction and saw what I believe to be a Bald Eagle, tuck in her wings and hit the water...coming out with some type of fish in her talons. My nephew saw it as well. Then..the next day...from our Island campsite...I watched another Bald Eagle..land in a crows nest..and eat the baby crows. I say this because the parent crow...was dive bombing the invader trying to get her out of her tree top nest. The eagle stayed in that nest for 10 minutes at least before flying off. The last I saw of it...three large crows were chasing it over the lake..headed north. I'm pretty sure it was a bald eagle...large wingspan...black body with a visible white head and tail.

Anybody else see a big bird matching this description ? For me..it was a National Geographic moment that I'll never see again.

Cheers,

Ron
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I hope you saw an eagle, but suspect you maybe saw an osprey.

Bald eagles have been on the rise in the past decade. Saw my first 10 years ago. Now not uncommon to see one a year.
 Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have seen Osprey's...colours didn't match. I'm hoping it was an eagle too.
 Link to this message

dan_carpenter

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have seen both ospreys and eagles on Lake Temagami and so it's possible that you could have seen either. In addition to the size difference, a distinguishing characteristic of the osprey is a noticeable crook in the "elbow" joints of its wings. Both tend to make huge nests of sticks in the top of a dead tree. Both are relatively shy and the bird you saw will probably move to a more isolated location if there is a lot of human activity on Kokoko this summer.
Indeed eagles seem to be more and more common, so there's hope that you'll have that National Geographic moment again!
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes the status of the bald eagle has been downgraded from 'Threatened' to 'Special Concern' under the Endangered Species Act, which goes against the normal trend. There used to be one that nested in the southern end of Cross Lake for several years in a row. Hopefully the kokoko bird will have offspring who choose to make the Temagami area home also.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 253

Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes.. you saw a Bald Eagle on Kokoko. There are a few other pairs around the main lake as well that I won't disclose their nesting spots.. Just keep your eyes open, they're there!

(Message edited by irishfield on June 8, 2010)
 Link to this message

franklin

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I saw four bald eagles this spring in Kokoko Bay.
They were after fish in the low water.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cool! Nice to see a wildlife success story.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 284

Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I saw one at the north end Obabika Lake 3 years ago.Have not seen it since.
Maybe it moved to Kokoko?
 Link to this message

ronkmarsh

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks for the information...knowing now what I saw...not once..but twice...makes that trip last week all that much better. For the record...swam everyday in Kokoko...gotta go back and clean up that ring I left around the lake.

cheers,

Ron
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 172

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

While flying I see eagles north of Lake Wanapitae, near Killarney Park and the south end of Lake Temagami. Birds make frantic attempts to get out of the way of helicopters but not eagles,it's like they are the king of the skies and they are not moving for any one or any thing. It's always a thrill to see them.
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 58

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have been seeing eagles quite regularly around the north end of Temagami -again this May. I also saw an Osprey in the area this year and last.
The eagles are no longer using the nest shown here, but they are still around: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/PhotoMonth/Imag es/sep08.jpg
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There was also this photo of eagles taken on Obabika:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/PhotoMonth/jun0 7.htm
 Link to this message

mehingan

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes we have eagles in obabika one lives on the north end of the lake the other lives more down the south end...The one on the north end has a huge nest and I believe she has babies but we don`t go checking it out cuz we don`t want to scare her away
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are the eagles in that photo members of a fraternity? Looks like a college prank, How many of us can we get on top of a tree? We'll set a guinness record!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 843

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Do you suppose they were busy mating?
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 60

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 7:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mehingan makes a good point about staying away from these nests. The one on Temagami was close to the shore, with a fair bit of canoe and boat traffic. But the final straw I think was the houseboat that liked docking there!
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Was on upper side of Diamond heading for Lady Evelyn three years ago on a sandy beach when a bald eagle flew over just checking out the territory. They are there and beautiful!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home