Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Scarecrow to Solace and back < Previous Next >

Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are there any dangers for amateur paddlers with no whitewater experience to go from Scarecrow Lake, down the logging road, through Paul lake, down towards Solace Lake, up through Regan Lake, and back to Scarecrow?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1210

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Amateur paddlers? That, to me, is someone who can barely control a canoe on flat, calm water, and is in trouble in any wind. Moving water is dangerous. And the Sturgeon River is moving. Obstacles will appear in various fast-moving sections of the river on this route if the water level is low, which it is now.
 Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian, I know it is a difficult question to answer. I've personally been out on 20 or so trips, and I have good canoe control.

I'm with a group that varies from confident paddlers to one person who is only on his second trip out. There is very little white water experience in the group.

I'm trying to gauge how much trouble we could get into if we did decide to venture into this section of the upper Sturgeon.

It does seem pretty tame compared to the lower Sturgeon, and perhaps a good place to gain some experience.

Your thoughts?
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 151

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

On the upper Sturgeon there is nothing difficult, just some riffles. It's after Paul Lake that you would get in trouble. Just do it (some portages over to Solace are not very easy)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 844

Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You just need to make sure that when you get into Ghoul, that no one goes down the channel to Twin Falls if you decide to camp on Ghoul before going off into Selkirk, Solace etc.
The rest of the stuff you could run, wade, or line, depending on how it looks when you arrive at each disturbance.
 Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks all, that is what I had gathered from the maps and books.

Having those of you familiar with the area provide a reality check should help to put my crews minds at ease.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home