Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 27, 2010 * Solo paddling < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A lot of you guys sound like you have done a lot of solo trips.
I am considering a fairly extensive one this fall.
In general, how do you find solo tripping?
Is loneliness the main issue, or something else.
The outfitting aspect is not my challenge here.
I've done four days alone and loved it. Tackling two weeks plus feels exciting, but I guess I am looking for some re-assurance on this. I assume that safety considerations are stepped up even more when all alone for so long. OK, I know it is a vague question, so good luck.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 285

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

fireman
I love to solo.
Lots of other solo trippers here too.
No schedule to follow but my own.
I have never been lonely?
I crave the solitude and seem to happy with my own company?
I read,take pictures and even fish a bit .I took a wood carving course 3 years ago,so I am always looking for interesting pieces of wood to carve.

Slow and steady is the trick.
Minimize your risks
Maximize your enjoyment
Have fun!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1212

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You've pretty much nailed it. I don't find much difference between 4 days and 12. I definitely play it safe. I do carry a SPOT messenger, more for peace of mind for my family than myself.

I do have find I have found a new friend who has the same likes and dislikes as me. Great conversationalist and we never argue.
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pretty much the same thoughts as Kim and Brian. I find it usually takes a couple days for the rythmns of civilization to fall away and for a more natural rythmn to take over. I've always been comfortable in my own skin and relish my solo trips.

Safety considerations should rule your actions (run that rapid or not etc) as consequences can be/are magnified when alone. I've learned not to push as hard or as long when on longer solo trips since when you're tired is frequently when things start to happen, so I always build in some down time in case it's needed. I also have a 1st generation sat phone that alleviates familial concerns while I'm gone and so far I've never had a need to use it.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 846

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman: I also go Solo. Longest trips have been up to ~ 30 days, but most around 25. Lately, I have been taking my dog along. Not that I need the company, but it is entertaining to watch her antics.
Others have commented on the need to not push it beyond your physical limits. I agree with that, and tend to keep the days shorter and try to camp by mid afternoon. Usually I am on the water or trail by 8 to 8:30AM and off by ~ 4PM, sometimes sooner, sometimes a bit later.
Most of my Solo trips have been in the Temagami area. A somewhat civilized place, but still lots of potential for getting into trouble on some of the rivers in the Spring especially.Not so much this past Spring with the lower water levels.
Fall Solo trips have other problems, due to dropping temperatures and potentialy wetter weather.
While Solo, I tend to sit out the worst of the weather. This past Spring 2" of snow and high winds for 2 days kept me sitting on a campsite while I had better things to do and some cold wet weather did the same. On one Spring trip, the temperature dropped to -10C for 24 hours +. That was not a good day to travel either.
It is pretty difficult to tell when you are developing hypothermia when you are by yourself.
I have a sat phone. I use it quite a bit to stay in touch with my wife and other family members.I didn't always have one but I have found this works best on either Solo or Tandem trips and when I was working ... a long time ago ... I used to travel frequently and called my family frequently... so nothing new here.I don't have any hang-up about using the technology to stay in touch.Of course sat phones don't always work when you want them to.But, most of the time you can get through to arrange for air support (have your arse hauled out of a difficult situation) or have some beer delivered to somewhere where there isn't any beer, providing that you have some good friends.

So Fireman... go Solo... but stay safe.... no 12+ hour days... take it easy and enjoy yourself.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd go insane.

Soloer I am not. Give me 5-6 guys on a big site chatting around a campfire and passing a canister filled with bourbon. :-)

I can barely even "solo" travel alone to big cities for business without starting to go stir crazy in my room though.

But for you ..........if you've done 4 days and loved it, I bet you will have a great time on a longer trip. Be safe and go for it!!

(Message edited by dergon darkhelm on June 21, 2010)
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 102

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Like the others, I am a regular solo tripper.
The first few days used to be a challenge, getting over the boredom/solitude whatever you want to call it...
but after a couple days out solo, I get into "my groove" and then there's no stopping me.
After I fall into my solo routine, I can stay out indefinitely.
Solo tripping allows you to really get to know yourself and be alone with your thoughts. It's one of the most peaceful and relaxing times you'll ever experience.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 286

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kims beer delivery service here..........

fireman
You might want to take a small radio along.
Its nice to know the weather forecast before you set out on a days paddle.
That is all I use a radio for.
I prefer the silence.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 847

Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I prefer to just look out of my tent in the morning and determine the weather. It will be a nice day today or no it is going to be windy and wet and cold etc. Then look at the sky a few times during the day to revise my prediction as appropriate. Pretty accurate process actually.No need for a radio.
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I envy you guys - looking forward to the time of my life I can start solo trips. Maybe another five years. Good advice to keep in mind regarding pushing too hard.

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wow. Pretty uniform endorsement. As for sat phones....besides my distaste of technology, I am, at heart, a cheap fireman, unwilling to part with any shekels for a gadget. But I take the point. I am thinking along the lines of "no rapids" rather than "which rapids".
Definitely, the point made about tiredness is a big one. That would be something for me to keep in mind.
I worry that if I bump into someone out there I will come at them like a deranged used car salesman desperate for human contact...I guess it either happens or not. I guess fear of strangers is another way it could play out.
I think Temagami is a good area to go for me. I know reasonably well and love it and can plan it a bit better than new territory.
I guess some reading is a must?? One is tempted to tackle Ulysses by Joyce, suitable kindling if nothing else. Seriously, I really appreciate your opinions and your passion.
If you guys will allow me to vent, I spent Sunday night stationed at John and Richmond literally surrounded by the Much Music Video Awards, Miley Cyrus and thirty thousand dehydrated hysterical teenagers, to say nothing of streets clogged with black SUV's.....it was an endless night highlighting the vapidness of popular culture (apologies to any Miley Cyrus fans on the forum). I have had it with so-called contemporary culture, such as it is. Give me the woods.
So...the solo trip is a go. I may go for a week and meet up with friends for a second week, which sounds like fun. We shall see. I guess the menu is the next thing. It does not look like I will be getting away with too many single carries on this trip, too bad. Then again, what is the rush?

Once again, thanks guys. Any advice or tips, keep them coming. I am back at work stuck in the middle of the G20 security circus, so a little distraction goes a long way. Cheers.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 848

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman:
If you are looking for specific stuff on solo tripping go here: http://www.solotripping.com/

Ok no sat phone then consider a "Spot" to keep wifey happy. Cheaper and more directed.

Of course solo tripping has been ongoing before any of this "where are you stuff" was available.

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 287

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

fireman

Miley Cyrus?
You not only NEED a vacation ...you DESERVE a vacation
Could you PLEASE take Justin Beiber with you?
Solo another time.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

actually, I was hoping not to relive it, but Justin Bieber was there, as well. The corporations have these kids figured out to the last disposable dollar in their pocket. I have officially embraced my "old guy status" and will say that there is more real music in a moose fart than in that whole, embarassing extravaganza of ego and sleazy marketing that passes for the music industry. My only solace is that my daughter has never been drawn to it and enjoys Smokey Robinson and Elvis Costello over that crap. OK, end of rant.
I will look into the "spot" thing as it would be useful for the trips I do with students. A friend of mine just died mountain climbing in Alaska and the issues of safety are greatly in the fore these days at home. So, a bit of technology will be allowed. I don't suppose it comes with an FM radio function?
How much coin are we talking here?
Other than that, just to update all you naturalists, the US Secret Service is practicing landing Blackhawks and Chinooks on the piazza in front of the CN Tower in preparation for the arrival of the Huntsville 8. The local fire and police are practicing not getting their heads chopped off in the process.
There was a short protest of enviromentalists across College Street and down University. I conservatively estimate 5 police officers per protester. Could be as high as 7 or 8. I thought the police were protesting something.
I'm stuck in this mess until Sunday morning, and then there is a bottle of Scotch waiting at home.
Back to saving lives and fighting fires, gotta' go.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 850

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/

If you are in need of a new GPS as well they can fix you up with the latest "Spot" that communicates to the newest "DeLorme GPS" gadget that allows you to send text messages as well... of course all of this comes with a price. Just like the disappearance of the $1B you are witnessing in Toronto.... OH sorry! $200M has already gone to Hunstville and environs to kill mosquitos.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ulysses? Bring a backup. That one beat me down 3 times.

I've seen the choppers flying about. The office is just outside the barriers at University. Working from home this week. Is it a madhouse?

Every generation has complained about the music and frivolousness of the younger set.

You're going to love solo. It takes me a few days to settle in. Then it takes a few more days to start going loopy. I haven't pushed past the loopy stage yet, trying this year. Every solo of mine ends with one morning decision to head out. From then on it's go-go-go all the way home. I've never covered distance like I have when it's time to go home.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I picked up a SPOT this year for our trip down the Nettogami river to James Bay. The unit is available at Canadian Tire for about $150, and it costs $100 per year for the service fee. It does provide some peace of mind when off the beaten path.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 855

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

These guys usually have good pricing on Spots and on GPS "Stuff"
http://www.gpscity.ca/search/q=spot
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 859

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well fireman, are you back at home yet with that Scotch or did you pull an extra shift?
Perhaps that was your truck that arrived to douse the cruiser on Saturday.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes on the scotch, close on the cruiser(s). we were stationed at Queen's Park, not exactly sure what we were doing, but the worst of it on Saturday was on Queen, the work was picked up by the Adelaide Station. our reliefs are working now.
The police did all the heavy lifting and still are. Kudos to their organization and restraint. Do not let anyone say differently, they have done a great job, although we never should have hosted this circus (in my opinion). the damage was minimal, the joke is the police towed out the cars that they wanted replaced so they could get the Feds to pay for new ones.
Pity all the real demonstrators have been eclipsed by vandals and criminals. I strongly believe in democracy...how throwing a bag of human feces at a police officer (and horse) is a productive act; is beyond me.
i will only add, I wish people would find all this passion come election time. We could get some Green Members into the government and make a much bigger difference than spending 2 billion dollars....once again, excuse the rant. must go drink.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 860

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Amen Fireman. Well spoken. Have a good weekend.
And have a good Solo trip.
I am off shortly for a lengthy trip.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"
the joke is the police towed out the cars that they wanted replaced so they could get the Feds to pay for new ones.
"

OT, but what the hey. I was thinking the same thing. Also that cars were left expecting them to be torched. Better to have people trash a few cop cars than private businesses.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The police are wearing all this, but it is the Feds that set the tone. the cars had had the windows smashed earlier and thus were abandoned but i think you are right; let them focus on some cars.
I agree about Ulysses, and I have never even really started it. It is too intimidating. Dostoevsky, now there is a story teller.
I checked out the Spot Two thingy, not quite clear what it does. checked the website and it kind of assumed a certain knowledge of these things.
So, no further on that front.
Good Luck, Ed, have a great time.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 862

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't have a "Spot" but you can send out a GPS location via the Globalstar Sat system. This position is then emailed to your account and it connects to a mapping service( Google Maps, I think) and your wife can track it on your computer.So she will know where you are at all times if you send the signal. If you get into trouble and need air support, you can send another type of signal and it will bring help. In Canada that might be a Hercules , God forbid, from JRCC in Trenton. At any rate someone will show up to help you. Might be the OPP here in Ontario.

Guys like you and I might be embarassed, if someone had to jump out of a plane to save us....
so it will be a really cold day in Hell before I would press that button to use that service.
If you want to see the tracking feature in action go to:
http://waterwalker.ca/fireside/index.php?PHPSESSID =902eb984b91fe21cd8a96e56f9d624d1&topic=1278.msg14 437;topicseen#new
and click on the links provided by Jimmy D in the first post of this thread as he travels in real time through Lady Evelyn Lake right now.... June 28th at 4:20PM.

Link to this message

kayamedic

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I use SPOT. So far its been amusement to those at home..

As in "well why did you camp in the same place on Day 4 as Day 2".

I pray I never have to use SPOTs real capabilities.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home