Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Route Advice Please < Previous Next >

Link to this message

johnmillsbro

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Folks. We have a group of 6 going for 4 days in Temagami. We have a tentative canoe route planned. Im attaching it here. http://treksee.com/p/eq0l

None of us have been to temagami for 40 years.
Our goals for the trip are to visit some old stomping ground in the southern parts of Temagami. Do some fishing and try to minimize contact with other parties / motor boats. We are going August 19-22. Thursday Morning through Monday morning.

Could anybody give me an idea of what sort traffic / campsite avaibility we can expect. Also. Any modifications to our route to improve it would be awesome.
cheers
John

Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 152

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You're bound to see boat traffic on Lake Temagami, but once you're off it and into Cross Lake it will be OK. Campsites through Cross, Wasaksina Denedus ar not bad. Shiningwood Bay has FN community impact there and not many campsites.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Agree with Mel. There will be lots of traffic on the main lake in Aug, especially in the hub, but even down the SW arm prolly.

Cross lake I love though. When I can't get multiple days to get in the canoe, I like to go "car camping" in Cross with the old cedar strip :-)
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The lake has begun to quiet down that late in August, boat traffic shouldnt be too bad. Youth camps have shut down for the year by then also, there should be lots of campsites to go around. If the south or west winds are bad, you can head directly to the north end of Cross Lake by portaging out of Portage Bay i think it's called, in behind high rock.
 Link to this message

johnmillsbro

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I was looking at the map I was curious if anyone has explored austin bay. Anything interesting to be seen there? Fishing? I was even wondering if there is a portage from the southern arm of temagami to the bottom of austin bay where the peninsula narrows the most (300m).

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home