Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Beauty lake road parking??????? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

burbot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi
first time poster long time reader. i would like to start a canoe trip from the beauty lake road at approx. elissa lake or gamble lake and travel east to trethewey and makobe lakes. according to hap`s book access point I ,gamble lake, is drop of only no parking access, point K has good parking and access point L has good parking. however when i talked to the "temagami eco outtfitters" i was told that no parking space was available along the road at all. how can that be? if anyone has been into the area last season could you fill me in on the parking status of the roadway in question? thanks for your help.
burbot
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 162

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Burbot:
Are you planning to come back the same way or are you making a loop out of your trip?
 Link to this message

burbot

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi ed
i think that i will just go in and explore tretheway and maybe makobe lake. from the l.e.r. (beauty lake road) if there is a loop, what do you suggest? i just hope the area is calm and that no logging trucks will be on the roads. i have contacted a float plane operator and if i can not trip in i might fly in.$$$$$$$$!!!!
also looking at a trip north of elliott lake if things can not be worked out in the smoothwater park. thanks for your help ed
and happy easter to all fellow canoe heads!!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 163

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Burbot:
I was going to suggest that you consider parking at Gamble.There is some room there for a vehicle, off the main road, near the campsite.The campsite here is mostly used by fisherman. Alternatively, bring a mountain bike with you and stash it in the bush near Gamble, then drive down to the parking area near the bridge on the LER and put in there.
Use the bike to travel down the road when you return to retrieve your vehicle.

Travel South on the LER to MacPherson Lake then North on Grays River to Banks Lake via Grays Lake.
Camp in Banks, on the north Island, or portage into the North section of Makobe, some nice campsites up there. Take the North route into Threthewey. (the large island campsite is being used by a local fly in service, the small island campsite is no longer useable). Leave Threthewey through the South east arm and follow the River there to Elissa and Gamble.Pick up your bike and go down to the parking lot by the bridge if that is where you left your vehicle.

This way you will be travelling with the current down the LER, upstream on the Grays River, (August may be a problem on Graymud due to low water levels)and then downstream on the river going to Elissa.

You could also fly in to Threthewey or Makobe from Elk Lake, leaving your vehicle there and paddle out via the Makobe River through Banks Lake.
I think there may be a fly in service operating out of Gowganda.

Some thoughts.
Ed.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed:

Good idea about the mountain bike. It is only about 6-7 kms from Gamble to the gate at the north branch. It is 12-13 kms from Gamble to the second bridge. I will be taking a mountain bike next time I go in there. The last time I parked at the second bridge I couldn't get my car started after the trip. (dome light left on accidentally) What to do but walk. Two to three hours of walking got me to Gamble. From there I got a ride back to my car and they helped me get it started. This is how I know these distances are as stated. A mountain bike would have been a big help. So would a spare battery.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 164

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

John_v:
The dome light will do it every time. I haven't had that happen to me yet, but it is only a matter of time.
I think maybe I will bring a spare battery and some jumper cables with me this Spring as my vehicle will be sitting for about a month in the bush.A recipe for a non start problem.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great idea Ed. You will be much more self reliant with a battery and cables and it could save you a long walk or bike ride. BTW, it is 47-48 kms from the second bridge to the highway. Too far to go in one day, for me anyway. When I set out on my walk I thought I might have to hunker down at the side of the road but it all worked out in the end.
 Link to this message

burbot

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi ed
thanks for the information. the bike idea is a good one. just got a cortizone shot in my elbow. my trip now depends on how my elbow responds to the shot. cheers , regards burbot
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

the past couple of years it has been tough enough to drive a car on that road, let along a mountainbike... Its not gravel that is conducive to mountain biking in my opionion.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home