Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Lake Temagami itself < Previous Next >

Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey all,
With the coming of spring, some serious paddling ideas have emerged. I'm planning on doing some paddling around the area with some canoeing-newb friends of mine, paddling out of a cottage near the town and out into the lake and maybe Obabika/Diamond for a few days. One of my plans for this same period of time is to rent a small canoe from Temagmi, and solo to Sandy Inlet (Fergusan Bay) for Camp Wanapitei's "Harvest Night", being a past camper there.
Sadly though, I've never actually paddled much in the Temagami area, or much on the lake. I figure that it would take 2 days to paddle from the town to Sandy Inlet (about 45 Km), though I have just have some conerns about paddling solo and trying to battle winds. Is this much of an issue for late August? I'm keeping in mind, of course, the ability to pull to shore easily and the high traffic (therefor, partial safety) of this part of the route. Any input?

Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Four eyez,

Two fairly long days of paddling is a good estimate to get to Sandy Inlet. However, you might be a little tired when you get there.

You could run into wind problems heading down the Northeast Arm if the wind is in your face, especially solo.

I paddled from the Bear Island area to town in a loaded canoe with a partner in a not too strong but steady headwind. I left at 10:00 AM and arrived in town at around 4:00. It was a bit tireing and annoying battling the wind.

You could also find trouble paddling from the main hub of the lake up to Ferguson bay if the wind is at your face, especially in Granny's Bay. If the weather is calm you'll be fine especially if you are an experienced paddler, but I would suggest taking a partner with you if you can find one.

Good Luck!

Pine_Sap
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 166

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Four-eyez:
You could also go in the Red Squirrel road and park at Red Squirrel Lake, then paddle in from there through the portage, arriving at Wanapitei in style, through the back door , so to speak, but without the wind problem. You can do this with the portage in less than a day.Might be a good backup plan.If you want to extend the trip stay on Red Squirrel for the first night.

Link to this message

dan_carpenter

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You could also portage into the south end of Kokoko Lake to avoid the large stretches of the North Arm and Granny Bay. The portage out of Kokoko would put you at the southern end of Ferguson Bay.

This map shows the details:
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/koko-l.htm
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Both of those options I have considered. There are two places I will be visiting in Temegami though, first Wanapitei on the 25th-27th to be seeing old friends and councillors come back from trips, etc... as well as before and after that being at a friends cottage on the lake near the town. I will most likely be busing up to the town... and I could hitch a ride with some Wanapitei people to the camp from there (along the Red Squirell road). If that were my plan, I would end up back in the town by road on the 27th, and then rent my canoe from there (being only 18, I don't have a Prospecteur to call my own... yet).
Thanks for that advice though.
As for a Kokoko detour, that would also be a nice route. Even one idea I have is this: on Fergusan Mtn., the west side of the bay, there is the Fergusan trail, 20km from Wanapitei south to the Kokoko portage (the one between Kokoko Lake and K. Bay). The southern half of the trail is apparently hardly used, therefor maybe unuseable. If possible, I would find it to be an interesting and novel idea to paddle from town to the trail in one (... and a bit) days, and hike into camp from over the hills. There may be the risk of an ovegrown trail, and of leaving a canoe in the bushes for a few days, so I'm not sure of that plan. But then... I could hitch a motor-boat ride from my cottage dwelling friends.

Whatever my plan is, I have a few months.

Anyone know the state of the whole Fergusan trail?
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry... the trail runs near the shoreline, and ends at the portage to Upper Kokoko Bay

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home