Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Requesting Information < Previous Next >

Link to this message

carls

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a trip to the Temagami region this spring. Currently we are looking at a 4 day trip from Wanapitei Lake up into Silvester - Wolf - Dewdney - Chiniguchi.

A couple of questions:

1. What outfitter is closest to Wanapitei Lake?
2. Can we put-in around what looks like a road between Bolands's Lake and Matagamasi Lake on Wanapitei? Can we park there? Is it safe to leave your car there?
3. What type of fishing can I expect along this route? Not looking for anyone's honey holes, but are the lakes better habitat for trout? pike? or bass? We are catch and release fisherman.
4. Through research I'm aware of the "pool", waterfalls, and the "lost dutchman's mine" lol. Are there any historic or scenic lakes along this route that are worth a day trip?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I appreciate your attention to my request.

Carl
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 371

Posted on Friday, April 1, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's what I can tell you. Yes, you can put in between Boland's and Matagamasi as that is where the portage is. But the public access with parking is farther south on Matagamasi. Is it safe to park? That is a proverbial question everywhere. Odds are in your favour.

As for scenic, all those lakes are, in my opinion. There is a fire tower to the east of Dewdney, but you will have bushwhack to get there as the trail is long overgrown.

Link to this message

carls

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Any information regarding fishing along the route? Any leads on local outfitters?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 389

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't believe there are any outfitters in that area. If there is a closest outfitter, there might be one in Sudbury, but a long shot.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

carls... Fishing along the ROUTE??? You bet. Travelling in this part of the country, whatever looks promising ~ probably is. Just depends on the time of the year, the water depth, the mood of the fish, how much patience you have, etc. We have fished at some spots that we had success at in year's past, not had a bite as we moved by, moved over a bay and an island... and couldn't keep up with them. My Dad always told us years ago that we "just had to hold our mouth right"... and they would come. Good luck... for in this part of the country... anything magical can happen!}
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

To add to the fishing post...you say spring so bass is out of season for sure! Pickeral doesn't open until May 21st and ditto for Lake Trout on Lake Temagmai proper. The rest of the region would be open for them. Pike is open all year in Divisions 16 and 25.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home