Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Solace PP < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, April 3, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am interested in knowing if any of you have travelled on the northern boundary of Solace PP.
Happy wandering
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, April 4, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't, but I am just commenting that it looks like it's a nice little area to travel through (... or so it looks on maps). What kind of overall route are you using Solace as part of?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 172

Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think that "alscool, and C_Mel" have done this trip in 2003? and can advise you.
If they don't repond, I will try to find a reference for you.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 378

Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Can you be more specific about what you mean by the northern boundary?
 Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am refering to the Nastawagan map and the route via Reagan lake and the small series of lakes down to Solace. Also the small series of lakes to the SE to Pilgrim.
I must thank you Brian and all the others here at Ottertooth for helping to pass the days until the paddle can be home.
 Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

four eyez

I am looking at a few options, I have 13 days to play with in the third week of September. I have not pinned down a jumping off point or return.
Happy wandering
Neil
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 174

Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ghost_brigade:
This might help you.
http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t =6433&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=solace&st art=0
 Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ed

I had checked that thread earlier and it turned up some good info, just wondering if there was anyone else who has been thru. Thanks Neil
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 380

Posted on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have heard several other people talk about doing Regan to Solace, but nothing about anyone actually doing it. If you don't mind bushwhacking (note: Alscool and Chris love that stuff), then go for it, and let us know how it went.

There used to be a trapline through those lakes SE to Pilgrim. Don't know if the trapper is still going in there. Not heard of anyone doing those lakes by canoe in a long time.
 Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Neil!

We traveled from Hamlow down to Solace via the Nastawgan. I'm going by memory as I don't have the maps here so bear with me.

Also note: This was the first time we did something like this, so we made some rookie mistakes and probably missed the obvious here and there.

The route is generally there. If I recall correctly, it went something like this:

Hamlow to Regan - the portage was roughly where it was supposed to be. It was even marked with the plastic "P" and the landing looked quite used. The trail immediately hits a road and then it gets confusing. There area was previously cleared and we followed quite a few dead leads and did not locate the proper continuance of the trail. After messing about, we dropped Co-ords into the GPS and bushed it right through. Quite scrubby, but generally dry. Upon reaching the other side, we tried to locate the opposite end of the trail in the logical location; I did see what may have been some trail remnants under a massive amount of deadfall but nothing conclusive. Further along the shoreline there is a put in from the road - if I was to go back I would likely use that. Trail length might be something like 750m or so.

Regan to Unnamed Lake 1(sort of shaped like a "3" - we took the most apparent route off the lake in the approx. location on the Nast. Map and it is a snowmobile trail. It heads up the slope where it interests the old road. In this general location we did find an old track quite filled with deadfall. We followed this for a piece but the GPS seemed to say it was veering off away from the lake. Due to some disagreement, frustration and an ever increasing rain, he headed back down the road (south) and cut a GPS line straight into the lake. We did flag our cut in point. There is a rough site we fashioned in the end of the lake should you need it. We had to do a bit of work to make a safe location for a fire, but it will do if you are desperate. Some old tin and trapping remnants around indicate this site had been used one time in the past.

Un-named Lake 1 to Un-named Lake 2 - rough trail of sorts along N shoreline of stream - perhaps more of game trail, I dunno, some logs and material across stream near there indicates somebody has been active in the area. Go down this trail until you find enough water in the creek to float the boat. Lake #2 is quite pretty and could provide a decent site with some work.

Lake #2 to Lake #3 - Nastawgan found! Though not to the lake as shown on the map but to the south, a very pretty little lake, good potential! The original mapped trail is probably there as well. Old evidence of trapping. South side of small northeastern bay, I'm going by memory here, so if I am an error I will remedy accordingly. Trail quite apparent once you are on it though it would be easy to miss and it travels though waist high bush near the lake. Much deadfall as I recall. Trail length - I dunno.... say 500m. We flagged both ends.

Un-named Lake #3 to Lake #4 (shaped like a backwards question mark inside Solace) We found a few dead leads here and eventually settled on one and cut a GPS line. Trail quite rough in places and goes down a steep slope on the Solace end. We did see some more promising starts on that end but did not investigate properly. The outflow of that lake might be promising as well.

From here down to Solace all the portages are well defined, easy to find and follow. I have no doubt that all the trails and more are here and with the proper time and effort could be properly opened up. It is a very nice area and an excellent way to head south from the Ridge. I am anxious to go back myself.

I do have the GPS tracks and co-ordinates of everything on my friends GPS if I can get him to download the thing.

Wow! Finally got around to my trip-log!

Note: Some may construe it as technically illegal to cut trails in this area as it is now a Conservation Reserve. I figure if the MNR can abandon a road to the bush and then reopen it through a conservation Reserve, a canoeist should be able to re-open a thousand year old human track through the bush as well. My +2C!

Cheers

Chris
 Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, April 8, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is more like the way things worked out for us in reality.

The black lines are the routes we took and question marks indicate areas in which I think we should have spent time exploring.

Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 8, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Its Fantastic. Let the revival continue! I have 12- 24 Sept off, 6-8 of those days are for annual brothers and friends trip (I'm not sure if all of them would be impressed with using a Sandvik) thus I will not overly press them. So, I can manage our trip and still manage to go to Solace( I will be in the Sudbury area) This is were I need to get creative. I will most likely be by myself, thus I would be open to join up with any of you who would be interested in continuing this revival of the Nastawagan. I think a flight in would be the best for myself because of my need to return to work( and my Loving wife and sweet baby girl) paddle heads in the making and of course a couple more days off work. Did that I mention that I Love you Liz!

If this does not pan out I would more than be willing to do a early spring trip 2006( Murph and Jerry you are in right?)

Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 8, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

....back again, I'm with the sediment of opening a centuries old trail. What about any other issues?.

Happy wandering
Neil

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home