Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * North Obabika Campsites @ Changing of Seasons < Previous Next >

Link to this message

open_side_up

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi All:
I've been soaking up info here for a couple of weeks w.r.t. planning my first Temagami trip next fall.

Typically, we do a 4-5 day trip around the 2nd or 3rd weekends in September and I'm trying to muster a 10 day trip from Obabika to Maple Mountain and back in 09/11.

I guess the first question I have is if the date has been set for the 2011 Changing of the Seasons Ceremony?

Second thing I wonder about is how frenzied the rush for campsites will be at the north end of Obabika that weekend.

Thirdly, is it worth a revisit to Spirit Rock at the end of the trip when the crowds have departed?

Thanks.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 851

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think the COS is being held on the weekend of September 17,18 and 19th this year.The actual ceremony is on Saturday September 18th.

There is usually not a problem getting a camp site as many people stay on Pine Point, where the ceremony is held and many people stay on the west side of the lake on the beach near the Mathias Homestead and paddle over to Pine Point.
That leaves many of the other sites in the area free.
There may be people visiting the Spirit Rock on the Saturday afternoon following the Ceremony, but before or after that it will be quiet up there.
There is a campsite up there that can be used. If you decide to go you could portage up there on the Friday and then come back down for the Ceremony if you are looking for seclusion.You would leave your canoe on Shish Kong at the south end ot that lake and take the portage back down to Pine Point.

(Hopefully HeavyK will confirm the dates.)
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 288

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 7:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

open_side_up

The annual Changing of the Seasons Celebration is being held on Saturday Sept 18th this year at the north end of Obabika Lake.
There will be lots of good campsites available.
All are welcome to attend!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 852

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just noticed this current thread on Waterwalker....http://waterwalker.ca/fireside/index.php?topic=121 9.0

You might find some more information there.
 Link to this message

open_side_up

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately, I won't be attending this year but looking ahead to 2011.
As the Autumnal Equinox next year is Sept.23rd, can I assume that the COS will be the weekend of the 24th, 25th?

The info on campsites is very helpful as is the waterwalker link.

Cheers.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The date each year is decided that summer. With the organising required people simply don't know their schedules that far in advance. There's Alex + guest speakers + Earthroots to be coordinated.

Perhaps plan for Sept 17 - 23? Then if it's the 17th you can start your trip with it, if it's the 24th you can end your trip with it.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 853

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hmmm.... Guess I should have read your post more thoroughly.
 Link to this message

open_side_up

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No worries ed, the rest of your reply shed a lot of light.

preacher, good plan, I think I'll use it

BTW, travelling tandem, doubling the portage and with neutral winds, how long to travel from the put in on Pond Lake to Pine Point?

Cheers,
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 854

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is no official put-in on Pond Lake. The original nastawgan put-in no longer exists and would take you across private property, belonging to Obabika Lodge.You could get Manitou or Emerald Lake Lodge(s) perhaps, to shuttle you to the portage that does currently exist,along the accesss road that goes to Obabika Lodge and some private property nearby.
Perhaps, you are speaking about the route used by the canoe camps at the present time? That is useable but there is a lot of portaging to do. Leave your vehicle at/near Pond. Travel across Pond to an old road on the west side of Pond and portage along that road until you pass by the Obabika Lodge dump, travel along the access road towards the lodge and then take a right along a cut line that then branches off to your left and goes down to the lake.A shuttle would by-pass all of this and let you off where the cut line (portage) reaches the access road.
The existing access to Obabika is via the Goulard Logging Road.
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/rou nd-lk.htm

I guess it would take you a few hours to complete this portage from Pond and then ~5 hours to travel up the lake with no wind problems.
 Link to this message

open_side_up

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ed. I somehow had the impression that it was less complicated than that.

Corollary question then. Is the total length of the carry to the put in from the Goulard Rd. gate 500m, or is that the distance to connect with the Wawiagama portage?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 856

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think it is 500m from the gate to the lake.
But to honest, I have never actually done it.
 Link to this message

simplyred

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, New guy here. It was 500m to the Wawiagama portage. Then about 400m to the lake. Just did it a couple of weeks ago. The both (road and portage trail) were very nice and easy. I used a homemade wheeled portager and rolled the canoe and all my gear down to the lake.
 Link to this message

open_side_up

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tx 'red, I know someone with a cart, so I may borrow it and do the same.

Cheers.
 Link to this message

gunwalebobber

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi All,

It's been years since I drove the Goulard road (I used to be a Temagami guide in another lifetime). Depending on the year, I used to be able to drive all the way to Goulard gate in a small car, other times 4WD would have been nice when parts of the road got washed out. For those that have been in recently (summer 2010), what are the conditions like? 4WD required or no?

thanks in advance,

Gunwalebobber
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 289

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

gunwalebobber
A 4 wheel drive may not be necessary right now ,but that road can change overnight.
Drive slow and dodge the rocks

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home