Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * South Muskego Logging? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Everyone, well, after all our discussion about a Wolf L./Stouffer/Dougherty/ Obabika/Matagamiasi trip, we have decided to travel to South Muskego instead. A nice 6-7 day loop starting at Mowat's Landing, thru S. Muskego (several routes to choose from) and ending at AnimaNip (first week of August).
-- My question is this, I just noticed this statement on the Ottertooth web-site about South Muskego: "Over the next five years, this area will be the focus of logging and logging-road expansion, particularly in the Lynx, Barter, Isbister and Ferguson area, effectively ending it as a roadless wildland".
-- Can anyone provide an update on the status of logging in this area so we can try to avoid it? Many thanks, - Stephanie
 Link to this message

Post Number: 858

Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am not sure if there has been that much logging in Muskego over the past few years. There has been a downturn in the demand for wood and the Forestry industry has not been as active as originally planned. Also there is not much activity in the summer months so you should not hear a lot of noise.

Curly who lives in the Temagami area might be able to update this further if he is around and sees this post.

I am not sure what the water levels are like through South Muskego this year, but I would think the Muskego River is pretty low. Also, the route from Sugar to Nichol, Isbister, Deadtree, Barter, Avery and into Turner is an old nastawgan route and does not receive much maintenance, so you will likely have to look a bit harder for the portages.They were useable in the Fall of 2007 when I was last through there.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 225

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The logging in that area has been completed. Reserves were left around lakes and portages, so the logging shouldn't be obvious, but you'll portage over a few roads depending on your route. I wouldn't avoid the area for that reason.

The upper Muskego River is deepwater, but the lower might be shallow. Not impassable, just some dragging.
 Link to this message

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If the logging's over, maybe head to those areas. Good for wildlife spotting & berry picking.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home