Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Getting nervous and needing advice < Previous Next >

Link to this message

penda

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

I have been planning a trip for 6 people for four days this coming weekend. We would like to start at the matagamasi lake access point and travel up to Wolf lake, set up camp there and then come back. After going through some of the threads on that route I'm getting a little nervous that competition for a spot on the lake (and parking in the access point?) will be fierce. I have never been up in that area before so if any of you could give insight into what your experience on the route has been like it would be greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 861

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Penda:
It could be busy, since it is the long weekend. But you could avoid the parking problem by using the Sportsman's Lodge to shuttle you to the put in on Mattagamasi and leave your
vehicle(s) with them for safekeeping. A small charge for the parking and a small charge for the shuttles.
The shuttle takes about 15 minutes and for 6 people you would need 2 shuttles probably.If you decide to do that you need to make a reservation and also reserve a pick up time on your way out so that your group arrives a bit before that time.

Ok so now you are on Mattagamasi and it is mid afternoon on Thursday? There are several campsites on the way up the West branch (North Arm) towards Wolf Lake. Look at ottertooth and look at Kevin Callans book.... Ontario's Lost Canoe Routes, page 122 to see some other campsites.
Ok so now you arrive at Wolf Lake.... 5 sites on this lake, one is shown as a small site. I have seen a group of 20 + school kids on this site... so it has lot's of room for 6 ....The best site is on the east side of the Wolf lake about 1/2 way up on a high rock outcropping. If you can get that you will be lucky... but the others will also work for you.

Hope this helps.

Link to this message

kayamedic

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The campsite on Sylvester is quite not suited to your group. Very little cover. I have no idea how people poop.

So dont include that one. I met a family of four perched on that one with two tents and drying laundry. They were afraid of bears and had actually driven their Volvo to the logging road above Wolf Lake. I was aghanst at portaging up the hill and bumping into a car.

I happen to like the site on the other side so I can see the cliffs at sunset. However its got lots of sticking up pointy rocks.

Expect to hear the drone of ATV motors over the weekend.

Personally I would head over to Donald instead. The 1000 meter portage is a cakewalk.

(Message edited by kayamedic on June 28, 2010)
 Link to this message

penda

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you so much for the information! I'll call up the Lodge and inquire as to their prices...we are a group of recent grads so we can't afford much...:-) I will be picking up the book you recommended and checking that out as well.

We are going up on Saturday and leaving Tuesday so I'm guessing we'll have to really push it on Saturday to make it up there and secure a spot. Is Donald Lake the lake after Wolf? My map doesn't give the specific name. Thanks again for the help.
 Link to this message

lost_canoe

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Donald Lake is a very nice lake, worth checking out.

Sportsman's lodge is in the bottom left of Kukagami Lake.

Here's the link for Donald
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini8.htm
 Link to this message

kayamedic

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Donald is the next lake over from Kukagami..so its not near Wolf.

You are probably thinking Dewdney Lake which is north of Wolf and before Chiniguichi Lake.I have not quite figured out why there is only one small site on Dewdney as its quite a nice lake. H

Its really not a problem making Wolf in one day and Chiniguichi the second. You have four days. Chiniguichi has a lot of area to explore.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home