Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Smoothwater Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, July 3, 2010 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks to all for the help with trip planning this spring, it helped me come up with a good route, that was extremely flexible.

Thank goodness for that flexibility as one of our crew became ill in the afternoon of day one of our trip, and wasn't recovered until day 6. To make things more difficult, we ran into a strong headwind on each lake on each day of our trip regardless of direction of travel, and 2.5 foot waves crossing the south half of Smoothwater (biggest waves I've been in).

At the end, we did manage to accomplish our primary goal which was to climb Ishpatina Ridge (unfortunately without our sick companion).

Also, with regard to another posting, I believe we spotted a bald eagle soaring over scarecrow lake, and then again perched on a tree over Lady Duffern as an Osprey made aggressive swooping passes overhead.

(Message edited by typhoonit on July 3, 2010)

Link to this message

typhoonit

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, July 3, 2010 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

One more note... around the portage at the south end of Smoothwater lake was deep thick mud. The last few hundred meters were passable only by a couple of inches, and we had to wade through the knee deep muck to make the last few feet to land. We extended a log "dock" a few meters to help us launch heading northbound, but if waterlevels drop a few more inches here, this could be a very unpleasant place to be.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1216

Posted on Tuesday, July 6, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice shot. Thanks for the update.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home