Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Maple Mountain < Previous Next >

Link to this message

chip

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 7:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is anyone aware of how the low water presently has effected the route going to Maple Mountain via SukerGut thru to Tupper Lake? Especially going thru the rocky creek and the creek from Tupper?
Planning a family trip with 6 yr old and a 9 yr old.
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

When are you going? I'm heading to Mississauga in 2 hours and will be leaving from there at 4AM tomorrow for a five day trip from Mowat's to Maple Mountain with my son (10), father and brother in law. I will let you know.
 Link to this message

chip

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks .. I'm going on July 20th - 25th.
I will watch for your report.}
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Chip, just got back yesterday from Temagami. The trip was a mixed bag.

Monday, July 12th - we arrived at Temagami Outfitters at around 10am. Took over an hour to get the paperwork completed and canoes loaded up in the pouring rain. Then the van wouldn't start since the coleman plug in cooler had been running off the battery alone for over an hour. One of the municipal employees across the road ran home to get cables to boost us. We got to Mowat's and were told by a gentleman that there is a new ramp about a km closer to the dam so we put in there around 1:30. We only made it to one of the island campsites on the north shore about 3km into the eastern lake basin before making camp around 5:00 looking forward to warm food and dry clothes.

Tuesday - The lower water levels made reading the maps a little challenging. What were supposed to be islands are now peninsulas; most campsite landings now require walking over loose rocks (although some others now have beautiful sandy beaches). We had to head due south from our campsite to get around all the exposed lake bottom before heading northwest towards the eskers. We stopped for lunch on an island just past the Island 10 Fishing camp. I had hoped to make it to the narrows on the first day but now realize how overly ambitious that plan was. Instead of making it to Hobart on day two, we camped on a beautiful site at the southern end of Sucker Gut narrows. I figured we could just as easily make the day trip to Maple Mountain from Sucker Gut (my bad). Although my son caught a pike that evening to take the lead in his bet with my Brother-in-Law, the fishing was very tough with the water levels and warmer temps. We swam regularly and the water temps felt to be around 78-80 on the surface. If you're looking for a silver lining to the abnornal conditions this year I guess that might be it.

Wednesday - we slept in a little, had breakfast and packed a day pack with lunches for our trek up the mountain. Left the campsite around 10:30.
Paddled about half an hour down Sucker Gut before turning into Betty's Hole (or at least that was my best guess from memory - yup, I left the map at camp!) and explored the north shoreline in search of the creek into Hobart. I'm not sure if the gap into the very western part of Betty's Hole has an opening or if it now requires a lift over but from where we were (I figure about 200-300 metres away) it looked like a continuous rocky shoreline so we headed back out to Sucker Gut to continue searching south. After another hour paddling, I finally asked a guy fishing with his son where the creek into Hobart was. Although he couldn't tell me what I asked him he did tell me we were almost to Frank's Falls!! I almost cried. I had been building up my son, dad, and BIL about the view from Maple Mountain for 6 months and I blew it because I forgot the bloody map! We talked about still trying to make it but I figured it would be close to 8 or 9 before we got back to camp and that's assuming that my 70 year old father and 10 year old son could do the hike in the same time as me and my university buddies used to do it 20 years ago. So we headed back to camp fighting a head wind and returning around 2:30. My BIL and dad took long naps while I poured over the map agonizing over how close we had been and kicking myself until my son said "It's still been a fun trip dad. We'll make it to Maple Mountain next year."

Thursday - woke to early morning rain, ate blueberry pancakes (another silver lining) and packed up camp. We were under way by 9:45. We fought a side wind and scattered showers but made it to the Lady Evelyn narrows by noon. Once we turn into the narrows the wind really helped push us along and we made it to Island 10 just shortly after 1. I stopped there to ask about the weather forcast and have a snack. We were told that they were expecting thunderstorms overnight and more showers on Friday so we decided to push right through to Mowat's. The wind that had helped up for the last hour became my worst enemy when we left Island 10. My father and BIL had no problem maintaining course for the fish camp across from the eskers but with my son in the bow of our canoe there was no way I could stop from being blown north into the bay west of the point with the camp. I had to walk the canoe about 400 meters through the surf back south to rejoin the other canoe. Through necessity we lined our way through the sand and rock bars on the north shore and lifted over where we had to since going around (as we had on the way in) wasn't an option.

The last leg of the journey was a pleasure as we were able to rig a sail and fly down the river to the dam. The break also allowed my BIL to fish as we sailed along and tie the bet with my son as he landed a bass. We arrived back at the ramp at 6:15, soaked and with mixed feelings. I know I will get another chance to take my son to Maple Mountain and while my dad and BIL (I think) are happy and proud for the experience, I'm not sure if tripping is something they will do again.

Chip,

Sorry I can't be of more help regarding the creek to Hobart but I did talk to a guy who was returning to Temagami on the Monday morning and he said he had to line his canoe into Hobart.

Stephan
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

These pics should have gone with the above post.

landing for our first campsite (Monday night)

My son makes me feel better after failed attempt at Maple Mountain (Wednesday)

My BIL Matt scouting for a way through the mess on the north shore of Lady Evelyn on Thursday.
 Link to this message

chip

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 1:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ...Steph that helps

(Message edited by chip on July 18, 2010)
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 7:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Pride comes before the fall.....
Any trip with your kid and your Dad is still golden, right?
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's how I'm going to try to look at it.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have found the nicest way to Maple Mountain is to go in at Ferguson Baby, take the northernly portage across and head to Sharp Rock and then up the north arm of Diamond and camp on Lady Evelyn and then the next morning strike out for the Mountain. Less likely to be troubled with winds on the north of Lady Evelyn. Also, if driving from the south, a little closer to get to the put in.
I usually sleep on the mountain top, so there is less pressure on the day we climb to get there early. And, as a fall back, one can go into Center Falls instead and have as wonderful an experience (my opinion).
Anyway, any boy who gets to go canoeing with his Dad and Granddad and Uncle, is way ahead of the game.
My daughter is due back in Ontario in a week and she is counting the days to our next canoe trip. And when they are older and bigger, they carry everything and bring big, strapping boyfriends who are out to prove they are the Alpha Male and thus, insist on carrying your canoe to put you in your place.
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's the route we used to take 20 years ago but I thought Mowat's would be faster and easier since there was only one short portage. Last year when I took my wife and son into Kokoko from Sandy Inlet, we found the Red Squirrel to be in pretty rough shape. The washboard shook my foam canoe pads loose and by the time I got to the parking lot, the paint on the top of my truck was worn down to bare metal. Also, my wife got half way through the portage into Kokoko and said "This is nuts!" Notice she did not wish to come again.

Have a great trip with your daughter, Fireman.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 173

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Stephan
If it makes you feel better my son returned recently from 2 weeks at one of the canoe camps on L. Temagami, they tried to get to MM but got tired of walking "on the bottom of the lake" and gave up, I'm a bit peeved about that since I really wanted him to do the climb, I might have to take him myself, now to find the time.
 Link to this message

60s_windshifter

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is there still a fire tower standing atop Maple Mt?
It was pretty shaky / scarey 40 years ago
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh, it's still there and it was scary 20 years ago too!

Bush pilot, I'm sorry to hear your son missed the chance too, but at least he knew the way. Oh well, just another story to poke fun at myself. It's right up there with shooting my other BIL's new tame ducks early one morning... but that's another story .

Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 174

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has any one been to MM this summer? I just flew over and now I understand why my sons section didn't make it. From Sucker Gut into Hobart looks like a vast mud bog.
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When I was picking up the canoes from Temagami Outfitters I talked to a guy who was just returning from a trip. He said he made it but that the creek into Hobart was walked, not paddled. I imagine the part I missed would have been the toughest.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all where exactly is the put in at sandy inlet. Thanks.
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was planning on heading up to Maple Mountain from Ferguson Bay this coming Sunday via Diamond/Lady Evelyn. This news is somewhat discouraging and I don't relish wading through muck. We'll give it a try and see how it looks but I will be watching this thread between now and Saturday. :-)

What are the campsites like on Hobart or Tupper? I am figuring that if my son and I make it through the bog, we will probably wind up camping up there. Thanks!
 Link to this message

stephanmcg

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have never camped on Tupper because Hobart is a beautiful spot. Hap's book highly recommends the eastern campsite. My group used to always seem to be the last ones in (used to come from an island about 200 metres from the west end of Napoleon's portage) and ended up on the northmost campsite on Hobart. We always saw a moose feeding in the morning (3 years in a row) at the northwest end. Used to be able to catch a pickerel dinner off the nearby point to the southeast too! The sites on Tupper have never looked very appealing to me.
 Link to this message

chip

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, August 6, 2010 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

On Thursday July 22nd we paddled into Hobart from Sucker Gut. Had to do a bit of lining thru the rocky creek but didn't need to portage as I thought I might.
Once in Hobart we had lunch and made the decision to bush crash from the west shore of Hobart toward Tupper.. using a compass from the campsite on the West shore of Hobart we made our way tying orange survey ribbon to mark a trail to return on. We reached the SSE shore of Tupper within 35 mins. We had to circle North around 2 large rock outcrops on the way to Tupper but it wasn't to bad a hike . We were a party of 6.
My 2 nieces , 2 - 11 yr old boys and a 3 yr old boy who was carried in a child carrier ... Once we came out on the shore of Tupper we walked along the edge of the bush and tall grass almost all the way to the trail head .. entering the bush along the shore as we approached the trail head as the bull rushes got to thick closer to the water .. this took us a good 20 mins.
We hiked up the mountain and met some boys from Keewaydin coming back down ... they also had bush crashed from Hobart.

It was different doing the bush crash .. but it was special for my nieces as their father (grandfather of the 3 yr old) was carried in a pack sack ( being 2 or 3 yrs old @ the time himself) along the telephone line from Hobart to Tupper in the early "50's as dad took them in to trap the area. Quite the legacy there .. u know
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, August 9, 2010 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just returned from a loop trip where we were hoping to get up to Maple Mountain. We met up with two trips who had tried but failed. One trip said it took them 3 hours to get to the beaver dam after Hobart Lake and that they were dragging the canoe most of the way. The water levels are very low compared to past years so if you are hoping to go to MM, be prepared for it to take awhile and to be doing a lot of dragging/carrying. I am intrigued about the bushwacking idea but not so much that I would want to do it. :-) We opted to not try to get in there and shaved a day off our trip. We are going out again in a couple of weeks and may try it then, depending on reports. There was an amazing thunder storm one night we were on Lady Evelyn and the water level raised an inch - so that's something, I guess. :-)
 Link to this message

keetmort

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 7:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chip, my group and I need to thank you. We followed your path on august 7th very successfully. Thanks for all your effort, very well marked.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1235

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chip, did you see any evidence of the old trail between Hobart and Tupper?
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hmmm... I am going on another trip this coming weekend for 6 days and am considering another attempt at Maple Mountain based on Chip's report.

Chip: how long did it take you to bushwack from Hobart to the trailhead? I presume you just left your canoes on Hobart and took daypacks? Thanks!

EDIT: I reread the post and saw that it took approximately 1 hour to get to the trailhead. My bad. Thanks again for the update!

keetmort: How long did it take you to follow the trail made by Chip's party? Just checking to see if this is worth taking as a daytrip from a campsite on Hobart.

(Message edited by sjfwhite on August 16, 2010)

(Message edited by sjfwhite on August 16, 2010)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home