Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Maple Mountain from South vs. NE? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi! Planning on taking my son up to Temagami for a 6-day paddle. I spent many days in the area growing up tripping with Taylor Statten Camps and am quite familiar with the area, in spite of the changes that have occurred since the 70's when I did most of my tripping there.

I wanted to take my son to Maple Mountain and was debating coming in from the South (put in at Whitefish Bay to Diamond, up to Lady Evelyn, jog over to Willow Island, Sucker Gut, Hobart etc... to Maple Mountain) and then loop back via the NW arm of Lady Evelyn and back south to Diamond and ultimately Whitefish Bay. I really like Diamond Lake and that is why I am choosing that route.

However, I am aware that the most typical route goes from Mowat Landing.

My son is going to be 15 and is a strong paddler and I am well aware of the wind on Lady Evelyn (have been wind bound there 3 times and recall night travelling back to Diamond twenty years or so ago). In fact, the 3 or 4 times I have paddled Lady Evelyn, I recall having a head wind regardless of direction! :-)

Considering that we are planning 5 nights, including a day to hike up to Maple Mountain, and will be starting the trip out early in the morning from Whitefish Bay, do you folks think that the south route is doable or are we safer to go via Mowatt Landing?

Thanks in advance and I am glad I stumbled along this site!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1222

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think you mean you will put-in on Lake Temagami at Ferguson Bay, not Whitefish. Either route, the trip should be doable.
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian! Is there no put-in on Whitefish Bay? I thought that there was a parking lot there just up from the gate? I am basing this on old memories of course. :-)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1223

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Very old memories -- pre-1989. The road is gated near Sandy Inlet now. You have to put in there.

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_atlas_ sandy.htm

Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

1989 isn't that long ago. :-)

(Message edited by sjfwhite on July 16, 2010)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home