Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * A quick trip in/out by plane < Previous Next >

Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So we'll only be able to do 3-4 nights this year. Around the 10th of September

I am toying with flying both in and out from the Temagami hub and am looking for some ideas.

We're in our mid-40s and don't trek too hard anymore, preferring to move only maybe 6 hours a day anymore and spend leisure time fishing, lounging in camp etc.

For the first time in years we'll have only 4 guys on trail, so we can use smaller camp sites as opposed to constantly hunting more open places to camp.

(Message edited by dergon darkhelm on July 16, 2010)
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you can do Sept 18th weekend you should go to the CoS on Obabika.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

No can do ....the same factors cutting my trip length (a pair of weddings, one of them my own) restricts my dates :-)
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is there decent fishing in Yorston, Seagram, Asabi, Bull, Linger? I have never been into any of these and seems like perhaps an easy place to kill a few days for our quick trip.

How about camp site quality and general aesthetics?

The map doesn't show any camping in Bull Lake, but there was an archived post from last year that mentioned a large campsite there.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 7:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

why not fly into Florence and exit through the north via South Lady Evelyn River?
The fishing in the river is good for speckled, work your way down to the approach to Frank Falls on SuckerGut. That would be four days. Assuming you are being picked up by plane.
The area around Yorston and Seagram has, for me, been a little ugly due to ATV trails and some messy campsites left behind by hunters. Maybe I am being a snob. We,ve met hunters up there, never a problem, but it shatters the ambience if you know what I mean.
I could not say what the fishing is like.
Alternately, you could fly into Katherine and get picked up on Obabika.
tough decisions to make. it's all rocks and trees anyway.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Done both the "Florence-Duff-LE south channel - out" as well as the "Katherine-North Channel- LE-Diamond-sharp rock-out" numerous times.

They're always pretty and fun, but was hoping for something new that the "plane both ways" would allow as a splurge.

Thanks for the insight on the impacted nature of sites in the Yorston/Seagram area. Quality campsites, solitude and scenery are a higher priority for us than fishing for sure.

As an aside..how are water levels on the LE river? gotta be terribly low already yes? Or no?

(Message edited by dergon darkhelm on July 23, 2010)
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, how about Gowganda Lake, Montreal River, Sydney Creek Crossover and back onto the Montreal, with the option of heading up to Matatchewan?
OK, want a big challenge and incredible scenery?
Fly into Pinetorch and come out through wakimika into Obabika for pick up, or if you have time, fly into florence lake and down to PineTorch. It is an incredible journey. you could be in Obabika or wakimika in four nights with your firs night on Florence South.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did Florence to Pinetorch in 2003 through the unnamed lakes. It was very pretty. The little campsite (? lake #3 ?) at the mid point was exactly what you would think of an ideal....a silent spot, isolated, with abeautiful view.

Your Gowgonda recommendation is well taken though.....will investigate that option further!
 Link to this message

rattlesnake_bob

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am part of Dergon's canoe group. Gowganda looks promising, but how bustling is it with anglers and especially motorboats? Are we better off starting at the north end of Gowganda and getting off the big lake straightaway?

Also, any links to maps would be helpful. All I have is the inset map on the Temagami Canoe Routes Map and it's a sketch at best.

Thanks.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

And also...I'm a bit slow here.

Is there a detailed canoe/portage map of the Gowganda area somewhere on Ottertooth? I can't find one.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home