Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Campsites on lady evelyn < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gypsy74

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI all,
Can anyone tell me what the campsites are like on lady evelyn? I have been through Lake temagami, diamond and kokoko, beautiful campsites there...I was on lady evelyn years ago but never camped there...would love to hear your thoughts and advice? Is it crowded in there around July, early august? Probably going through mowat landing and into lady evelyn...any suggestions for good campsites?
Thanks!
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

On the southern end of Lady Evelyn, on the west side of the arm that extends to Diamond, there are several lovely campsites. One has a smooth beach on the north side of a short penninsula and a perfect drop off on the south for swimming. The tent site is large and level. it is a few kilometres north of the pullover from Diamond.
My favorite by far is further north, where one turns west to portage over into Willow Island Lake. it is on the north end of an island, marked on the route map. It has a steep takeout and make sure to tie off your boat to a tree, but the campsite is gorgeous. Nice sheltered sleeping area, thunderbox, and an absolutely amazing rock "porch" for sipping coffee, jumping from and looking north up the lake. From there, it is a quick trip down the inlet to the portage. The larger lake is problematic due to wind, but there are many, many campsites. There is also one right at the pullover from Diamond. Good fishing,but a bit of a thoroughfare during the day. have fun.
 Link to this message

earle

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have always liked the island campsite at the south western opening of the Obisaga narrows.It's close to a fishing camp but the sound wasn't that bad and it has a great view up towards Maple mountain. We just got back from going up the north channel of Lady Evelyn river and stayed at a sight where Willow Island lake and Suckergut lake meet. Lots of sand beaches to walk on due to low water levels and has nice level spots for tents. I hope this helps.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As Fireman says "On the southern end of Lady Evelyn, on the west side of the arm that extends to Diamond, there are several lovely campsites. One has a smooth beach on the north side of a short penninsula and a perfect drop off on the south for swimming. The tent site is large and level. It is a few kilometres north of the pullover from Diamond."

My brother & I have nicknamed this lovely campsite Birthday Bay... as I was there on my birthday in August of '97 and my canoeing partners presented me with steaks and a bottle of fine wine chilled in the lake.

If you are a fisherperson, we have also caught nice bass off of the small island seen to the north east across the large expanse of water up toward Lady Evelyn main. There is also a HUGE rock bar that we found last trip up three years ago straight east of the campsite toward Walsh. We spent several evenings there playing with the bass. However, it is really easy to get 'hung up' as the rocks are many! In low water, this bar may just be visible, though three years ago it was under about 3' of water. Fish were everywhere off the edges!

Another beautiful campsite is just south of that as you are entering The Lady from Diamond. As you make the turn on The Lady coming out of Diamond to go north toward Birthday Bay described above, there is a campsite up on the knowl as you turn north. You can't see it from the water... you have to walk uphill... It is well back on the high rock but gives you a view out onto the lake that is fabulous.

There are also several campsites around The Narrows and on the east side of The Lady that are awesome. Have a great trip!}
 Link to this message

gypsy74

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Trip report: we had an amaizng time in Lady Evelyn and other lakes we headed out to. Found the mother of all campsites on an island about an hour and a bit north after you do the short portage from diamond lake. It's a bit farther north than the campsite fireman mentioned (which we stayed at as well and it is very lovely, private too). This site is out on it's own a bit and it had a cove, huge jumping rocks with a treed area for camping on the east side of the island, if you walk past the cove to the north end of the island there is a whole other section with firepit and a big outcropping of flat rock with a little grassy area...it was absolute paradise. We were so excited and were going to stay for a few days...as with all things amazing, it is often too good to be true because apparently the island is prime fishing as well therefore we had 5-6 fishing boats parked right near the island at all times...so close you could hear every word they said. Really pissed me off. There were several other fishing boats in other lakes too that seemed just fine with puttering up next to us while we were trying to get some space. The next day we headed farther up north to a peninsula that also had a cove and rocks for jumping, camping area wasn't that great though and it was quite exposed but lovely scenery, felt like you were on the ocean and the fishing boats were nowhere to be seen there! Has anyone else felt perturbed by the fishing boats? Are they always that inconsiderate and numerous or is it just around the August long weekend??

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home